Author Topic: Lets talk Mowers  (Read 21852 times)

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk Mowers
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
I bought an Exmark Lazer Z HP, 46" cut and 19hp kawasaki in 2007.  It's still going strong with no signs of stopping. I was mowing 3 acres.  I have a little more to mow now and if it broke tomorrow, I'd likely buy something with a 60" deck and would consider diesel.  My father in law has a diesel kubota with a 72" deck and I think it's 29hp.  He fuels up less often than me and cuts a whole lot more grass during the same time.  Fuel is one of your biggest costs, so you should take that into account.  My dad has a 24hp briggs engine on his 48" mower and my Kawasaki uses less fuel than his to cut the same area.  The commercial folks that cut our grass at work (a crew of 5 or 6, all day long) all use propane.  They say it costs less to operate their mowers on it.  I don't know if I'd consider that for residential use, but it's something to think about.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »
I already bought the mower, this was just an add on post about it breaking and fantastic customer service.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
Back when I was young, I bought a very used Sears Craftsman 8 hp lawn tractor with a 48" deck, 48" snow thrower, an a 48" scrapper blade.  Mowed a lot of grass, moved tons of snow, with 8 HP!   That tractor had a V belt limited slip drive system, that would move mountains.  I look at all of these high HP mowers an wonder what has changed?  It wasn't fast, but It was a work horse.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »
Back when I was young, I bought a very used Sears Craftsman 8 hp lawn tractor with a 48" deck, 48" snow thrower, an a 48" scrapper blade.  Mowed a lot of grass, moved tons of snow, with 8 HP!   That tractor had a V belt limited slip drive system, that would move mountains.  I look at all of these high HP mowers an wonder what has changed?  It wasn't fast, but It was a work horse.

What happened is what happened to everything, cost reduction, increased profit. We have become a throw away society.
Bob
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:59:16 AM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
One thing I would Suggest, what every kind of Mowers U are about to Buy, Have the raise the deck high enough for U to check and see how many Bolt & or Nuts are on the surface of the on the under side of the Deck, every one of those Nut or Bolts will cause stuff to catch and start to build up under the deck, I have a Toro ZTR that i clean under about every other cutting, we mow 4 Ac.

I never mow when the grass is wet, but there us enough juice in the grass that it will cause it to stick, and I can tell that a lot of the stuff starts catching on anything that's not smooth of the under side of the Deck

Rat

zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
This is my 3rd summer with the Cub Cadet LT 46.  I now about 4 acres every other week and it has held up nicely.  The Cadet of course has a Kohler motor, mine is a 22 HP and has some backbone for sure.  My property is less than flat and there are lots of holes.  I have been very happy with the production and durability of the Cadet.  I think I just passed 125 hours this weekend.  I have only sharpened the blades once and it is a pain the butt, just bought a hammer drill in Hope's that it will make it easier.  It was a very expensive mower but so far has been worth every penny.
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
Georgia Clay, I bought a 1/2 in. 24 volt impact for Chicago Tool, about 6 or so years ago, just for taking the Blades of my mowers, works Great, it came with a set of impact sockets, it was about 100 bucks at the time

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass