Author Topic: Improved Meyer Lemons  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Improved Meyer Lemons
« on: June 07, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »
I checked on my little lemon tree today and it is loaded with small lemons. I had to remove some of them earlier because there were a hundred or better and I was afraid it would damage the tree. I planted this tree last year on what will be the south side of our new house. Hopefully we won't have a terrible winter or I'll have to cover it.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Meyer Lemons
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
  The best my Meyer ever did was 108 lemons in one season.  That is when it was only 4' tall and about 3' around.  It was a heck of a lot more yellow than green.  All excellent lemons that I juiced and canned.   ;)

My favorite and best producing citrus tree. 
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
Tbird,
How did you can the juice?  My first little ImpML tree is bearing, too!  I pulled tons of blooms off, to give the root system a chance to develop properly.

There are about 15 lemons growing.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:02:29 AM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »
  I simply wash the lemons, cut in half, juice with a reamer, heat the juice to 190 degrees, pour the juice in pint jars, install lids and water bath the jars for 5 minutes.  It works for me.

Here is a link to a similar way to go about it.    ;)

http://pickyourown.org/lemonjuice.htm 
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
Making marmalade is an easy way to use up some citrus fruit.  http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/marmalade-is-way-easier-than-it-looks/  A few years ago I wintered in the Rio Gand Valley and I made lemon, grapefruit marmalades.  The only change to that recipe was that I used juice to replace the water because there was so much fruit to use. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
Thanks, Tbird and Gopherbroke!  :-* :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
Beautiful tree Double B!
Did you start it from seed?

PS Your home is coming along nicely!

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »
Maggie,

I did not start it from seed. I purchased it and it but it seems happy being on the south side of the new house. Now if the water would dry up and I can get this place mowed it would make my day :o

We have had three days in a row of dry weather and the framers are nearly finished. They have the tray ceilings in the formal dining and master bedroom finished and lack the entry hall. The radiant barrier decking arrived today and hopefully the carpenters will show up today or tomorrow to get the house decked so it will be dried in.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
I sure would like some preserved lemons right now to use in a cucumber salad and / or salad dressing.  It sounds pretty good right now.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:00:08 PM »
Since I've never grown lemons before, how do I know when they're ready?  Mine are swelling up, but they're still hard.  Are Improved Meyer Lemons supposed to turn yellow or stay green?

Thanks!

This was taken on 5/23/16.  I repotted the plant up to a larger container, and there are more lemons on it, now.

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
They are ready when they turn a pretty yellow.  And Maggie, all citrus is grafted on root stock.

Offline wdkerek

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
I am still picking lemons.....I have two trees and the produce like crazy.....

Online Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
My sister squeezes the lemons and pours the juice in an ice cube tray and freezes them. Once frozen she empties them in a zip lock bag. Each cube is about a tablespoon. This is great for fresh lemon juice in recipes.
Dan
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »

Gymgirl your lemons are looking good!

Davidx357 does that mean the two seeds I started from a Meyers Lemon will not produce Meyers lemons?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »
Maggie
I am not sure what you will end up with, but there is some reason that all citrus comes grafted.   There is some information on this on the internet.

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
We lovingly refer to our ole Meyer lemon tree as the lemon monster.  Here is this years crop:
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2016/02/lemony-pickins-series-of-unfortunate.html

All we do to it is every February we fertilize it and all our fruit  and nut trees with 13-13-13 

Only advice I have I know its heart breaking but the more fruit you take off the first year the more energy the tree has to grow.  It pays big the next year.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
Thank you, Maggie! ;D ;D

So, Cappy,

I should cut off those few Imp Meyer Lemons I have?  :'( :'(

To get a better harvest next year?  :-\ :-\

OKAY!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

P.S.  How much Triple 13 should I put in my planter in February?  I just transplanted it into a planter that's roughly 2X the circumference and height in the picture above. 

And how soon after I fertilize in February should I expect to harvest the fruits again?

Thanks! 

Linda

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 05:11:10 PM »
Wow Cappy,

That is a monster harvest for sure. I can taste a tall glass of ice cold lemonade from here. I took all f my lemons off of my tree last year and hope the ones I have this year will make it. The little tree is growing and I used some fertilizer spikes occasionally to feed it.

Also, what do you and your wife do with all of that lemon juice?

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
Here is a couple good things to do with all that lemon juice.
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2009/03/lemon-jelly.html

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »
I just ran across this recipe, and I thought of all you suffering from lemon overload that some might enjoy this recipe. http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/chick-fil-a-copycat-frosted-lemonade/   They use fake lemonade, but y"all can figure it out, and I sure could use a nice frosted drink this afternoon. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer