Author Topic: Thinking of buying that new John Deere?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of buying that new John Deere?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
I would be curious to know if this only affects farm tractors and combines and not CUTs and utilities. Also I can't believe this is a JD thing only. The whole industry has same technology so my guess this is just a pick on JD article. I mean the picture at the top is an older non computerized model that looks to over 20yrs old.
I'll call my neighbor that farms and has all new equipment to get the scoop.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Rcs1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
I think I would look at all the brands and see if they have the same restrictions

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere where I think it was Chevrolet was going to try the same thing.  It was stated that you did not own the vehicle.  You had to have all repairs done by the mfgr.

This was a few years ago and I haven't seen anything about this recently.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere where I think it was Chevrolet was going to try the same thing.  It was stated that you did not own the vehicle.  You had to have all repairs done by the mfgr.

This was a few years ago and I haven't seen anything about this recently.

Bob
Your right Bob as I remember posting that technically this is no different than aviation has been for prolly 75yrs.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »
In the last six months I have had four friends have major problems with their GMC vehicles (like unpredictably stall.)  They took  them to the dealer (and all that hassle), had them hooked up to the computer, only to find that they couldn't tell what was wrong with them. They then left the dealer after paying the "diagnostic charge" only to have the problem repeat.  I do not, and will not take my vehicles to a dealer unless I absolutely have to do so.  Bill

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:24:30 AM »
Mr Billy , my niece & nephew had 2 new Chevrolets about 2012 I think  and theirs would do the same thing as you described.
They would not start.

When it would happen the dealer would come out , tow them in, hook up to tester and could find nothing wrong.

After a while they traded them in.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:26:41 AM by crazyhorse »

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • out in the garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
saw an update to mr. donald's posting.  it seems they did write an exemption in for ag equipment that says the manf can't load software that prohibits farmers from working on their own machines.  they do seem to be having issues as some of the license agreements that JD makes you sign still include clauses.

http://ifixit.org/blog/7475/repair-coalition-wins-exemptions/

i also saw an interesting article (which got me on this topic) that said since the exemption prohibits 3rd parties from bypassing the codes some farmers are taking it into their own hands.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
If they have an LS dealer around go check them out much tractor for the money, had have several and it is the best I used.
http://lstractorusa.com/
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • out in the garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
i recently read an interesting article about the supreme court just ruled that the printer company lexmark can't use patent laws to force companies/individuals to stop selling refurbished cartridges.  the court ruled that once the purchaser buys it, then they have the right to  sell the empty cartridges to cartridge dealers. it also clarified lexmark can't tell customers what they can do with the goods they bought and paid for.  this is going to have a big effect on many other lawsuits where big companies are trying to keep folks from tinkering with or re-selling goods they own.

the article did warn that you need to be careful about the paperwork you sign when you buy something.  it said many big companies are already trying to get around this by putting wording into the sales agreements.  while they can't use patent rights to block you from doing something/tinkering with their goods, they can use breach of contract. 

make sure you read the fine print when you are buying the tractors and such to be sure you are not signing away your rights to work on your own tractor.   
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)