Author Topic: My 1st garden review  (Read 2321 times)

Offline FLfarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
My 1st garden review
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »
Put together a video of my 1st garden experience.  Sorry it's a bit long...
https://youtu.be/hgyexCUstFc

Looking forward to next year!

Offline davidjrtx

• Grasshopper
  • 8B Willis, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: My 1st garden review
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »
Very nice video and gardens, well done...  8)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »
you have a nice set up.  i really liked the video.  congrats on the wonderful results!
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
What a great video and great gardens you have. I enjoyed every bit of the video from soil preparation, planting and harvesting. I was amazed that it seemed like you always were able to work dry soil.

Good job!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »
Next year? I am guessing that your name FLfarmer represents you live in Florida. In your climate you should be able to have something growing year round. My fall/winter garden is my favorite. It is easier to maintain and a whole lot less work. I think you have a huge start into being an experienced gardener and by your video, you're starting off very well.

If you don't want to grow anything over the winter, grow a cover crop of mustard or something cool hardy. Keep building your soil as much as you can. It is an ongoing process.

Nice video!

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
VERY NICE SET UP!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »
Great job with the video and the garden…..Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »
FL >< U sure have a Nice set up>< I enjoyed your movie, U have all the right things to Make it Happen, U sure have a nice drip tape set up, I have been using drip tape for years,

today I planted a raised bed of snap beans (green beans to some) I have the drip going on the planted beans to get them up, that is a big plus for drip tape, U can plant when U want, and not be worried about needing a rain to get things to come up >< Many times that is a problem with trying to grow a Fall Garden

Thanks again for Sharing Your Movie >< Someone there is very Good on The Camera

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline FLfarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 05:19:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  Here are a few things I will do different next year:
1. Grow half as many crops and more of them.  Long rows, keep it simple.
2. Larger effort to prepare the soil before planting anything
3. IRRIGATION: Don't water everyday, 6" emitters instead of 12", water all circuits at the same time so pump does not kick on and off, use springs not rubber bands at end of drip tape.
4. BUGS: totally underestimated this problem! Next time, hit early with organic mixes, nuk with seven at 1st sign of trouble and often
5. I'm going to focus on what worked and what we ate.  Potatoes, beans, onions, peppers, carrots, cantaloupe.

Steve,  I am turning my attention to my next project: solar power.  That said, you have me wondering about a possible fall/winter garden.  Maybe something real small I could work on the side.  What 1 or 2 things would you suggest I could grow over the fall/winter as an experiment?  When would you plant them?  Do you have any suggested videos on fall/winter gardens that might help me get started?

Thanks!
David

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
Try growing some broccoli and cauliflower if that is something your family will use. It is best fresh but once we blanch it, we use the heck out of it for things like broccoli and rice casserole. Pest are less and fall gardening or all,year gardening as folks in the south would say is the easiest. Less weeds to contend with two. Since you like growing carrots, this is a good time for them too.

If you like peas ( and boy do we like peas around here ), next year grow some top pick pink eye purple hull peas and also some zipper cream peas. They are a favorite. I see you running that front tine tiller and I would hang onto that but also look for a tiller for your tractor. Donald has some fantastic videos on plant a row, skip a row and it's worth looking at for future plans. I love your setup and for your first garden I think you did an outstanding job!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »
If I had to choose only two crops for winter, number one would be collards. I love me some fresh collard greens. I like mustard too but prefer collards. If I have areas that are sitting idle for the winter, I'll broadcast mustard seed and when they get about 2 ft tall, till them in. Next would be a toss up with rutabagas or cabbage. What part of Florida do you live in?

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »
For a list of fall vegetables you could probably watch Donald's videos or look at the calendars he has posted. The dates might be a little different for you depending on how far south you live. My fall winter garden usually consists of collards, rutabagas, cabbage, carrots, kohlrabi, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, some form of winter squash, and something I am forgetting I'm sure. That is just my favorites. Most people that grow a fall garden will get frozen out farther north but in the deep south, I can grow certain ones till spring.

Steve

Offline FLfarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 08:54:01 AM »
Good suggestions!  Donald's rotary tiller video was the biggest thing that drew me to try a garden.  Unfortunately, the wife put the KiBosh on that purchase.  Still I gaze at it online every day:
http://www.everythingattachments.com/Phoenix-T4-Series-Value-Model-48-Tractor-Tiller-p/ph-tiller-rotary-t4-48k.htm

and if I really want to dream big, it's the T5 model:

http://www.idahoimplement.com/tractor-implements-and-accessories/tractor-rotary-tillers-rototillers/30-inch-to-49-inch-tractor-rotary-tillers-rototillers/48-inch-phoenix-3-point-tractor-rotary-tiller-model-t5-48.html

David

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
Nice job David!  You should start a fall garden, I know people who grow just about everything year round in Fla.

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
I loved the video.  It's a big pleasure for me to see a newbie do well and you certainly did that.  Congratulations.  I also believe in gardening year around.  Plant something, if not for yourself then for your soil. 
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 05:05:17 PM »
A 3 point tiller is definitely my favorite garden attachment. It can incorporate stuff into your soil like nothing else. I saw you using a front tine walk behind tiller in your video. You made good seed beds with it but I don't ever have to run one again. The one I used would pull your shoulders apart. A disc then till method might work for incorporating crops.

I'm positive others will have some fall crops that are favorites.

Where do you live in FL? I grew up in Leesburg.

Steve

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »
FL >< there are so many things that grown in the cooler weather ( I really don't know what your fall & winters or like, U may be able to grow stuff year round down there,  >< Mustard, Turnips, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Swiss Char, Lettuce & different salad mixes, squash, Carrots, Snap Beans >< don't plant a big field of this stuff, it sure goes well with home cooking,

Good Luck with a Fall Garden if U decide to try one

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline FLfarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »
I'm in Gainesville Florida.  North central Florida.  It gets below freezing here about 10 times/year but only in the early hours.  The soil is very sandy.

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »
Very nice FL!! I'm in zone 9 and usually this time of year I plant cabbage, broccoli and sugar snap peas. Like to grow spinach, carrots and lettuce too in winter.
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9