Author Topic: Mr. Murphy  (Read 226 times)

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Mr. Murphy
« on: July 07, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
Seems like Mr. Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame, has been a faithful companion for me over the years, he's always with me. I am a gardner, not a farmer, I've got a rear tine tiller a mini tiller/cultivator and a hooke & crooke hoe. I've never been seriously injured in my gardening pursuits but the potential and Mr. Murphy are always there.

A couple of years ago I spent a couple hours tuning up our Taylor Mr. Pea Sheller. I had not yet completed reassembling it when my wife came from the garden with a bucket of PHP's and asked that I set up pea sheller for use. I cautioned her about the exposed gears and I asked if she wanted me to replace the cover. Nope, she said she could avoid it so I set the machine up on sawhorses just outside the roll up garage door. I got on the mower to finish the hill behind the house. Mr. Murphy showed up. She leaned a little forward and the gears grabbed the front of her tank top, quickly pulling her in. She shut the thing off but was trapped by the machine, she knew I would never hear her on the mower so she did the only thing she could, wriggling out of the shirt, leaving her topless on the driveway. She went in and got another shirt, came around back and flagged me down.

Nobody got hurt there but that episode highlights the inherent dangers found when working around machinery. Spinning gears and PTO's, twisting augers and rotating tines are just a few ways to maime or kill with a second of inattention or bad luck. I beleive farming always ranks at the top of most dangerous professions. I had a friend killed some 30 yaers ago when while bushhogging around a pond, the bank partially collapsed tossing him and the tractor into the pond where he drowned, pinned in a foot and half of water. He had performed that same task countless times without incident.

We all chuckled at the used garden hose thread a couple of weeks ago and thankfully nobody was hurt. But that again shows how quickly things can go south. Freak accidents happen, I saw that many times as a trooper. Folks who were doing everything right were terribly injured or killed by some incident that could not have reasonably been forseen. Mr. Murphy tags along with us all.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Murphy
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
ksp-----not just on the farm and in the garden but in and around the house,too. One time I dropped a brass sconce on my exposed foot .....hurt soooooo bad. Managed to get my shoes on and give a massage to my client who then rang the doorbell. A little later I locked myself out of the house....had another client coming in 2 hours. Went to my neighbors house to call Bobby and tell him to come unlock the house. On the way over there I stepped in a small hole and sprained my ankle on the same foot injured by the sconce. Could not get Bobby on the phone,left a message, and my neighbor and I walked back to my house to try to break in...and a spider bit me on my foot....on the same injured foot/ankle. We took a shovel and tried to break windows,etc.-----I learned that this house impenetrable!! I needed to get in to get my clients cell number, because she lives far from my house and did not want her to waste a trip from so far. We gave up after beating on every piece of glass outside the house. and I sat outside for an hour til Bobby showed up. By then I was in terrible pain...my foot was on fire and cramping non stop. Bobby found an old pair of crutches, and we headed to the walk in clinic. Never in my life have I been one to cry out in pain, but I was actually hollering. Diagnosis..badly bruised bone on top of foot, sprained ankle, and muscle cramps due to trauma and spider bite. Three meds were prescribed....antihistamine, pain killer, and a muscle relaxant. Murphy's Law  was on steroids that day!!! Oh, BTW, I did manage to call my client before she made the long trek to my house.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
What a day Rabbit. I got nothing remotely as bad as your day!

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »
 Well Mrs Rabbit ,It certainly sounds like you met Mr O'Riley 's law in person . O'Rileys  law states that Murphy is an Optimist. Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 05:30:08 AM »
YIKES!

We all have those Murphy stories but those two are doozies!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »
Yes, y'all, I thought I had been transported to the Twilight Zone that day!! And especially after I took the meds....told my husband I  felt my soul leaving my body....that I could feel myself dying. Scared him to death !! Needless to say, I took no more of the meds after that!

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
Rabbit, in that one day you pulled off a list injuries not often seen together. Trauma (sconce), soft tissue (sprain), and envenomation (spider). I bet they still speak of you in the ER! Glad you survived it all.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »
Thank you ksp. I do hope it is a cold day "in you know where" before Mr Murphy visits me like that again!!

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »
There was a story posted on here or maybe the prior website about one of the members running over an electric fence wire with the lawn mower. It was the funniest story I personally think was ever posted here. I had tears in my eyes while reading it. Does anyone remember this post and could locate it and repost it for every one to read?
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
I recall it Daniel and for some reason I think it was Champs that wrote it.

Not on this site but some other was also a story about a guy who had bought a handheld taser. He wanted to try it on the cat but instead just lightly touched it on his leg. The aftermath was hilarious!! Murphy was in full control trolling of that day too!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M