Author Topic: Angel Trumpet ?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Angel Trumpet ?
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
   Anyone ever plant one ? Janene and her Mother both would like to get one . I told them I had only seen then in catalogs. Let me know the pros and cons. We live in central Okla, zone 7. Thanks .  It states to bring these in in the winter time . Do they bloom all year ?

Rick

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Angel Trumpet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
hi.  i was very kindly gifted some cuttings this past fall.  mine are in containers outside.  i cover them when the temps get cold.  they are not really doing much right now, but i am going to transplant them into their permanent homes this spring. 

i only know so far what i have read about growing them.  partial/full sun.  like it moist but not too wet. heavy feeder.  in the same family as tomatoes.

i do know there are some folks on here that have established plants.  i hope they pipe in for you.

fyi..be careful if you have kids or pets.  they are super toxic. 
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
I have several that I have from transplants. They grow with little to no care and make a beautiful flower. I have pink now but I have seen yellow that is very pretty. Before the frost you cut them in about 1 foot long sections and put them in a bucket with water. Store them in your garage through the winter changing the water occasionally and they will sprout roots. Plant them in the spring and each one you plant will make another bush. I also heard they were toxic to pets.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:44:33 AM »
  Woodchip...........  Could you explain a little more on the toxic ?  She has grand children and a couple of barn cats.

Thanks  Rick

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »
   angel trumpets are tropical.  they freeze and die at 32'. they do grow well in large containers, like a lot on nitrogen, very easy to root from cuttings when weather is warm (80'), they would bloom all year IF there was enough sunshine/energy, they are beautiful and if there are several blooms and the fragrance if sweet and pleasant.  White blooms are boring, yellow and pink attractive,  the double blooms are smaller and less showy.  Just my thoughts
Mulch It

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
I think he means 32 degrees and not feet  ;).  Anyway, yes, I have grown them for years, but I am in the deep south, zone 9.  The grow very well in a large tub, and I do mean LARGE tub.  After a freeze, I cut mine to the ground, it comes back from the root.  In your zone Rick, it would have to come inside for winter.  Temps below 40 degrees are hard on it.  They bloom sporadically throughout the summer, but really put on a show in the fall.  They do root very easily.  Mine easily reaches 6-7 feet in a large tub.  In the ground, sometimes mine has reached 8-9 feet.  They are toxic if eaten or if pets chew the stems.  Just don't eat them.   Mine has only produced a seed pod once, so that shouldn't be a problem.  My pets leave it alone, and so do the kids.  They smell Fantastic when blooming!~
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum whitestrout. Best place on the web for us gardening folks.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
Every part of the angel trumpet is poisonous, including the leaves, flowers, seeds and roots.  they have toxins in them that can shut down a child/pets nervous system. 

keep in mind all plants in the garden can be poisonous to a point.  the web indicates you should plant them away from where kids play and in an area where you can see them so when kids/pets are outside they don't mess with them.  the reason they are more of a risk to plant around kids is that they DO look like trumpets and the kids naturally want to pull one off and put their mouth in it or touch them to ring like a bell. 

because they are in the same family as tomatoes and other garden veg, you will want to plant far away from the garden to avoid cross pollination.

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
Got this one as a gift. It's 2 years old now. Was trying to bloom last week when we got the 25 degree temps. Looks dead now, but will return next spring.
This was when blooming.

35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »
Mr Whitestrout, welcome to the best site period.
Hope you like it here.
Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
Angel trumpets are so easy to start from cuttings. If anyone in your neighborhood has an angel trumpet, ask for a cutting. Stick it in water & it will easily send out roots. I started my angel trumpet from a cutting several years ago. Every year, I cut it back to the ground. The next year, it grows over 8' tall. Here's what it looked like on 12/27:

After a quick freeze, here's what it looks like today:

No problem. I'll just cut it back to the ground & it will be fine.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Yep, exactly how mine looks now! Not to worry, it will be back with a vengeance come spring.  ;D
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »
   Thanks everone , Jo ann that is a very nice looking angel trumpet. I think she has decided not to get one even though she would love to. Thanks again everone.

Rick