Author Topic: Old Pressure Cooker  (Read 2894 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pressure Cooker
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
Sounds like there's a leak in the unit.  If there is, the leak is not allowing enough steam to build up in the unit.  Probably never was the pressure regulator...if it never got up to enough built-up steam inside.

Check for leaks and/or warping.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
Buy a new rubber seal, an wipe it each time with a thin layer of veg. oil.  Also what Gymgirl said.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »
I'm gonna give this thing another go. Back this summer when I got it and starting testing it, I was wearing only a pair of shorts, exposing large ares of skin to steam/burns if something went south. Now thats it's colder and I'm clothed head to toe, I think I'll take a propane cooker out onto the yard and try it there. I know all this sounds overly cautious but I'm the worst sort of sissy when it comes to safety. I'll post again after testing.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Ksp a way to tell what is going on inside the pressure cooker would be to put an equal amount of water in a similar size pot an start them together an when the open pot starts to boil your pressure cooker will be boiling too.  1st check point.   If you leave the open pot on the same size burner it should boil the water out long before the pressure cooker but if the cooker has not come up to pressure then something is wrong.   2nd point. 

Remember to buy a new seal an wipe it with veg. oil on both sides before you slap the lid on.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer