Author Topic: Interesting tractor.....  (Read 2614 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting tractor.....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
Thanks for posting that Lone Wolf. It does look similar the the Allis G and the Tuff Built. It will be interesting to see if they make it long term. I see the need for a tractor like that and sure wish I had one now. Less electronic stuff and being able to work on it with regular tools would sure be a bonus.

I am curious how much heat that engine would put off being air cooled right behind the seat. I would sure like to talk to someone that has put one to use to see their opinion of it.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »
LoneWolf,
I have an Allis G that I restored and I also have a Tuff-Bilt with a 19 hp Kohler air cooled diesel engine. You cannot get this engine in the US anymore because it does not meet current emissions test. They downgraded it from 22 hp to 19 which passed emissions when my engine was installed.  It is one of less than a handful that had a diesel engine. The Tuff-Bilt and Oggun are very similar. The only advantage of the Oggun is  for $1300+ you can add a hydraulic driven rear PTO which will power a 4 or 5 foot bush hog or a 4 foot tiller. Oggun has open source design and parts which can be obtained from nearly any wear so you are not strapped to the manufacturer for parts. The Oggun is powered by a 19 hp Honda engine. They install the 19 HP Kohler diesel (actually a 22HP) for export. The drawback is Oggun makes only a couple of implements for their tractor and want other manufacturers to design and make implements. Oggun actually is  more of a copy of the Tuff-Bilt then the Allis G as it incorporated the many design improvements made by Tuff-Bilt to the Allis G. The Tuff-Bilt which was designed and made by a couple of engineers from Lockheed  from  the old Allis G but with many improvements. They were made in Cumming, GA originally then Alabama. A couple in Nebraska recently purchased the Tuff-Bilt and moved the manufacturing to Nebraska where the new owners live. They digitized and computer drew the design so it is now a much more finished product. It is powered by a Kohler 19 hp but they also have a German Hass air cooled diesel and electric model. They have a model that runs on track as well. The Tuff-Bilt has a long line of implements made by the Tuff-bilt manufacturer for the Tuff-bilt. They add new implements as owners request them. They are very responsive to owners and even made some changes to their middle buster design at my recommendation. They have a 540 PTO but it is powered by a belt from the shaft on the engine. In the past this powered a 3 foot tiller. They are making some design changes to this PTO but I am not sure if it will power a 4 foot bush hog or tiller. It is amazing at the precision you can cultivate or work your garden when the implement is in front of you and you have a clear view of what you are doing. You do not have to wait until you get to the end of the row to realize you just tilled up your row of veggies. I have found the Tuff-Bilt is a very useful tractor for the gardener or farmer who needs to do close or precision cultivating. I have most of the implements made for the Tuff-Bilt and they all function very well. The videos on the tuff-Bilt website are not the best. I suggest you look at the original YouTube video on the Tuff-Bilt.  I will try to post it separately.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
This is the original Tuff-Bilt Video...The Little Tractor that Can.
https://youtu.be/llJaE3USBgk
Double B, You do not notice any heat from the engine. Mine being Diesel is on the noisy side though. The design is very simple with only a few components that might eventually wear. It is a tractor that is easy to work on and easy to get to moist everything. Even though my tractor was built by the previous owner The current owners and been Johnny-on-the-spot at responding to my questions and being able to provide me anything I need/want. All prior implements fit current model. Contrary to what you might hear the Tuff-Bilt and Allis implements are not interchangeable. I do have some Allis G implements that I am going to get a fabricator to make a few changes to so I can use them on the Tuff-Bilt. The planter I have is the Cole MX which has a Tuff-Bilt designed hookup so it will connect under the belly or to the rear of the Tuff-Bilt. They have now switched to a Jang type planter.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
I really enjoyed this especially the story because it reminds me of the reason for the Allis B. Dad bought a new one in 1938 to replace his team of horses. The B fit in pretty quick & some of the horse drawn equipment could be used--harrow & disk are the two I remember. The idea this fellow is telling about reasons with the same idea for the Allis B. Thanks again for showing this.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Parrothead127

• Grasshopper
  • Heroes don't wear helmets, they wear dog tags.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »
This is the kind of thing that makes the USA great. For another kind of ingenuity, just look at the people who make the Hoss wheel hoe, I marvel at their ingenuity of remaking the old planet jr every time I get one of my two out to use them. Those old machines and simplistic ideas made this country what it is today. Great job on both pieces of equipment.
East of Atlanta
Tin Roof Farm
Zone 7A
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.