Author Topic: Wheel horse tractor anyone ?  (Read 2384 times)

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Wheel horse tractor anyone ?
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
  Just purchased a 1976 c- 160.  This tractor has been stored for 25 years do to an illness of the owner . Put a new battery in it and started right up , old gas and all. Its been well taken care of and has all the manuals . Also came with a 50 " wheel horse tiller .Anyone ever own one .  If so give me the pros and cons.

Rick

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel horse tractor anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:44 PM »
We went to the garden tractor show in indiana last weekend and they had some nice wheel horses of all different years. Lots of of garden tractors of all makes. Have you got plans for the one you just got?
South-Central Alabama

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
Rick, congratulations on your new toy.    Please post a couple of pictures.
Arlie

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:12:49 AM »
Mr Rick, congratulations on your Wheel Horse.

I had 2 Wheel Horse lawn mowers (sold one).
Mine have been very dependable .
Hope you enjoy it.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 05:14:41 AM »
Congratulations Wheel Horse made some nice running machines.

We had an early 70's vintage one.It came with the house. It had a mower deck a plow and a little cart.We hauled a lot of firewood. plowed our driveways and with its small mower deck it was an all day project to mow the lawn.

We sold it when we bought the Cub Cadet. If the new owner kept up with simple maintenance on it I would bet it is still running. I will see if I can find some photos of it. It always started and ran well. Just too small for the work it needed to do around here.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
   Hippie..  Bought it because I thought it was a deal. Might try to make a little on it.
   Spring........ Ever since we went to window 10 we haven't figured out how to post pics.

Found out parts are hard to find. I need a rear wheel needle bearing , so far haven't found one. if anyone has knowledge or know where I might fine one please let me know.

Rick

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »
Rick,

If you will email me a couple pictures, I'll post them for you.  I would like to see them also.  Good buy.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »
Agragarden
The bearing should be easy to locate at a "bearing shop/store" There use to be a chain called Dixie Bearings. I have friends who have easily found bearings for equipment that has long been out of production and the company who made it was long gone.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »
Back in the day I bought a craftsman tractor that was 8 HP that had a 48" deck, 48" snow thrower, an a doser blade. Today that size attachments need 20 plus HP, an that tractor was belt drive variable speed. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Mr Rick , check out Red Square for information.
There are many other web sites for Wheel Horse.
Good luck.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/forum/20-wheel-horse-toro-tractor-forum/

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »
I been thinking about getting an old garden tractor for a project. Would probably get what ever brand I happened to get a good deal on. Until last weekend at the garden tractor show, I had never seen a wheel horse.
South-Central Alabama

Online agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
  Hippie.  Wheelhorse used to be very common here in central Okla. in the 60ies to 80ies. Had a huge dealer in OKC.  You really don't see many anymore. Toro bought them out in the 90ies and still make a mower with the wheelhorse mane on it.  But the old wheelhorse is gone.  A real good little tractor back in the day. The guy that made them , built two in his garage and wanted them to be simple so anyone could work on them. A pair of plyers , cresent , and a screw driver was supposed to be all you needed.

Rick

woodchip gardener

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »

Offline Parrothead127

• Grasshopper
  • Heroes don't wear helmets, they wear dog tags.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
I bought a 12hp Murrey mower brand new in May of 1991. Parked it under the shed around 98 when I bought a MF tractor and finish mower to cut grass with. Got to thinking about it a couple years ago, cleaned carburetor, got a battery and she fired right up. Got new ag tread tires for it, took the mower deck off and now I use it just about weekly with a garden cart. I call it my “unit”. I use it for all kinds of yard and garden work. Used it this morning in the snow to get up firewood. That thing sure is handy. I use a battery tender on it in the winter to keep the battery charged, probably the only reason it started in the 24 degree weather we had this morning.
East of Atlanta
Tin Roof Farm
Zone 7A
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.