Author Topic: Chestnut trees?  (Read 708 times)

Offline 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Chestnut trees?
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »
I know, chestnuts are not a fruit! I didn't know where else to put it! So anyone out there have any experience raising chestnuts? I've only got 3 trees and they do OK.One is too close to the woods and has gotten quite tall, searching for light. The other two are on the edge of the power line right of way.

The power company came through last summer and cut the top out of one of them.I understand they have to do this kind of stuff. What I didn't understand is what it would do to the remaining portion of the tree!The tree with the top cut out is sid by side with the other tree and it has at least 15-20 times as much bloom on it as it did last year or as the other tree near it has!

I can't seem to find any info on proper pruning of chestnut trees and I hesitate to prune because they have now crossbred a native chestnut that is immune to the blight brought here with the Chinese chestnut.

For those who are not aware, the native chestnut trees were similar to the redwoods etc out west.A huge tree said to have enough lumber in one tree to build your house and barn and lumber left over.I certainly do not want to make a shrub out of something like that(if that's what I have).
This brings up the other part of my question since I do not know how to tell the difference between the varieties and don't know how to find out.
If anyone has helpful info I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

woodchip gardener

Re: Chestnut trees?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
hi wade,

this was a good page with pics on how to tell the american from chinese.  there are other types on there too, so look at all of them.

https://www.acf.org/resources/identification/chinese-american-chestnuts/

here is some pruning info

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/topic/chestnuts/horticultural_care/pruning

Offline 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »
WC, how you do that? Every time I can't find something you get it right now! You are a Wizzard on the computer!Thanks so much. I now have a place to start!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
Michelle's Google Fu is very strong!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

woodchip gardener

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
i am always glad to help   8)