Author Topic: Gravity fed side dresser or distributer  (Read 699 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Gravity fed side dresser or distributer
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:37:18 AM »
Have any of you used a gravity flow side dresser/fertilizer distributer when you were cultivating your veggies? I know various companies make them including Cole and Covington. Cole also has one called the McNifty Gravity Flow 100. I was wanting to know what your experiences were and how you liked it and how well the method worked for you. I have known some individuals who made their own using a stainless steel tank/container. 

I appreciate your comments.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity fed side dresser or distributer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »
Covington side dresser is only kind I've had. Been on the same cultivator frame for more years than I can remember. Never used another kind. Only other way I've side dressed is by hand when I'm just side dressing a few hills of something.
South-Central Alabama

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
ol hippie,
Thanks very much for your input. I decided to go with the Covington side dresser. I located one near me that had been "reconditioned" by a farmer/dealer and the price was right. I talked to the Cole manufacturer in Albany, GA. where they make both Cole and Covington and he suggested I go with the Covington. He said it would give me a more precise distribution and much easier to use and control the flow. I can either side dress 2 rows or adapt it for one row.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »
I think you will like it. Used it to sidedress 2 rows in my younger days, but for last 30 yrs, or so, I have it set up for 1 row. It's a little different setting it up for 1 row. I'm looking forward to see how you like it.
South-Central Alabama