Author Topic: Gravity fed side dresser or distributer  (Read 900 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Gravity fed side dresser or distributer
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:37:18 AM »
Have any of you used a gravity flow side dresser/fertilizer distributer when you were cultivating your veggies? I know various companies make them including Cole and Covington. Cole also has one called the McNifty Gravity Flow 100. I was wanting to know what your experiences were and how you liked it and how well the method worked for you. I have known some individuals who made their own using a stainless steel tank/container. 

I appreciate your comments.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity fed side dresser or distributer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »
Covington side dresser is only kind I've had. Been on the same cultivator frame for more years than I can remember. Never used another kind. Only other way I've side dressed is by hand when I'm just side dressing a few hills of something.
South-Central Alabama

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
ol hippie,
Thanks very much for your input. I decided to go with the Covington side dresser. I located one near me that had been "reconditioned" by a farmer/dealer and the price was right. I talked to the Cole manufacturer in Albany, GA. where they make both Cole and Covington and he suggested I go with the Covington. He said it would give me a more precise distribution and much easier to use and control the flow. I can either side dress 2 rows or adapt it for one row.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »
I think you will like it. Used it to sidedress 2 rows in my younger days, but for last 30 yrs, or so, I have it set up for 1 row. It's a little different setting it up for 1 row. I'm looking forward to see how you like it.
South-Central Alabama