Author Topic: riding lawn mower canopy  (Read 1441 times)

woodchip gardener

riding lawn mower canopy
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
hi everyone.  i have a riding mower that i am looking to build a (for lack of a better word ) cabin for.  i looked online but the only ones i have seen are pretty much a top canopy that secures behind the seat.  i want to build more of a structure that will enclose the seat area and let me put some sort of netting over it that will keep the sun off of me plus keep the grass/dust from getting to me as bad.  i have tried wearing long sleeves, a hat and a mask, but it makes it even hotter when you try to mow. 

i am going to mow tomorrow before the rains move in this week.  i am going to see if the mower has any built in support spots like the john deeres do.  i think i would be ok making something out of pvc that would work.

i would like to know if any of you have tried to make a 'cabin' for your riding mower and any suggestion on what type of netting you would use.  i do have one of those magnetic screens i found on clearance that self close that i can use on one side to make getting on/off easier.  i have a roll of screening i got at a yard sale way back...do you think that would work?  any suggestion on what to use for the shade portion?

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
Re: riding lawn mower canopy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »
chipper I googled lawn mower cabs & found several that might be of interest for a design. one I saw was at cozycab.com you might get some ideas from the pictures.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »
mowing can be a messy job for sure.. if sun is your main issue, sears has a sun shade canopy that works real well, then all you have to deal with is the dust. I've had one and they do great keeping the sun off of you.. if you want to add screen the canopy is still the best starting place or base to work off of. but I think a screen would  be more of a pain to deal with.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
A shade top is fine but you don't want a greenhouse around you mowing at least not in my heat, even if it's netting. You're gonna be hot and you might catch a buzz off of the exhaust but you could wake up with a headache if you do wake up. Even if it blocks most of the dust it will also trap the dust inside.

Mowing is a learning experience every time you start the mower especially when it's dry. The first time I turn in a direction that blows dust or grass clippings on me it's engraved in my brain not to do that again so I make a new route.

If the yards not big and it's dry mow it in the early morning so the dew helps with the dust or you could water the lawn at night and mow it first thing in the morning.

You and me both need to find us one of these!!!!

woodchip gardener

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »
hi mr. monroe!  thanks for the link.  that gave me some good ideas on building the frame.  :)

lol ragun.  air conditioned lawn mower...i wish!

it's a cruel irony that the girl who loves to garden is allergic to pretty much everything outdoors.  lol.

besides the fact that i am super fair skinned and burn in about 10 minutes, i also have allergy issues...both sinus and skin.  grass sets off all sorts of allergies and certain grasses and plants cause me pretty much instant contact dermatitis.   since hub works crazy hours i am usually the one who mows.  i was hoping to cut down my suffering by netting myself in. 

i do get the point on it being hot. i don't think it would be much warmer than being fully covered like i do now.  i would never use plexi or anything like that...it would be too hot.  i was thinking netting.  i am not sure fumes would be a problem, but it was a good point to bring up. 

i have super mulcher blades on the mower so i don't have to rake, but if there is any wind it picks up the super fine particles and really get me.  i do try to change up my mowing, but some portions of our yard that is not possible.   i have a very cranky old guy neighbor.  i have to mow only front to back all along the side yard so that i don't blow grass clippings though his chain link fence or he and his wife are unbearable. 

i have a roll of window shade replacement material.  the nylon sort of stuff...not the metal mesh.  do you think that work and let some air through without too much grass?

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »
Mrs Chip I am sorry you are allergic to grass/weeds/etc.
I hope you find something that will work for you.
It is better to try and fail than to have never tried at all.

Would a good grass catcher be of SOME help to you?
Would a respirator help?
Would a rear discharge mower help?

I hope you find a way to make mowing the lawn more enjoyable instead of a chore.

Good luck.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
hi crazyhorse

i actually love to mow the lawn.  it is the closest thing i have to a tractor   :P

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »
Woodchip, i was wondering how much grass do U  have to cut, how long does it take? I was wording about waiting until late evening, for about 2 Hr. are so just before dark, usually it's cooler, and no sun, then the only thing U would have to deal  with would be the Dust,

we have about 4 ac. and it takes us just a tad over 3 hr. from start to finish, lately we have been getting started round 430, it still hot, but sun starts going down and the shade from the trees help,

I see a lot of people mow their grass early in the morning, i never like mowing wet grass, I guess for some that's the only time they can get it done

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

woodchip gardener

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »
hi rat

i mow about an acre on my riding mower.  it is not a commercial sort of mower, just an old regular riding mower.  it takes me usually about 2 hours by the time i pick up the garbage by the road and have to mow around all the stuff in my yard (i have a lot of stuff planted/situated throughout the yard to go around).    it is not really the heat i worry about.  i do tend to mow either early if the grass is dry or later in the day.  the netting cage is more for sun and the grass debris.  if i could mow not covered head to foot it would be nice. 

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
....Sun Screen would be a good material for Your project. Depending on what manufacturer, the Sun UV protection can differ. Phifer Sun Screen use to block out 85%, it could be better now(?). however, because of the weave pattern, the Sun Screen will tend to restrict airflow but cut down on dust penetration. SunTex, is a product used for shading also. The weave is similar to insect screening weave but the material strands or thicker in diameter. It was originally intended for patio furniture covering because of it's UV protection. Both materials can be sewn with a heavy duty sewing machine. Loops can be sewn for attachments to framing.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:13:40 PM by TheCutNShootTiredGuy »

woodchip gardener

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
hi cns.  i looked at those materials.  they might actually be too shady.  it looks tight weave and i am not sure i would be able to see through it.  thanks for the links though!  if i decide to put up shades on the porch this winter this will work great!

ragun, thanks for the links!  these give me a great place to start!

thanks everyone!