Author Topic: TROPICAL STORM HARVEY  (Read 1208 times)

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: TROPICAL STORM HARVEY
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »
   Ben........  Ive been worried about Curtis all week. I knew where he lives and it wasn't a pretty site on the news. If anyone wants to get a relief fund going for him , please let me know. He is a pretty smart gardener and has helped me out with his knowledge,so its not going to be hard for me to help. God bless all those people in the storms path.  (not just Curtis but all our forum members who are in need of help)

Rick

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
I went through my old messages and found Curtis' phone number.  I have not called him yet, because I have my boss staying with me now until he can get to his place on the river (3 ft. water in downstairs area-but that's not living quarters).  When I have room, I'll make an offer for him to stay with me until he can go home. 
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »
Oh, my Sweet Jesus,
Please protect Curtis and his family from the encroaching flood waters.  Lord, put a hedge of protection around his home, and wrap Your loving arms around them all, as they wait this out in the Shelter.

Lord, use Curtis to bless those he encounters in the shelter!  Let him spread your gospel message of truth, hope, and love to everyone you would send to him.  Help him to draw from Your strength, Lord, to pass it on to those who may be losing heart.  Help him to show them that they "need not worry about what they will eat, or drink, or wear....but, to believe that their heavenly Father already knows all their needs."  Lord, use Curtis to help them "seek first the kingdom of God, above all else, live righteously, and He will give them everything they need!" 

Finally, Lord, help Curtis take strength and courage from your Word, and be use mightily to draw others to You.

In Jesus' Name,

Amen!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
AMEN!!!
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
Yes, Gymgirl, Amen!

Online ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »
Saw on news that there's been a large explosion/fire at the Arkema plant in Crosby, hoping DoubleB is doing well.

Online ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
Another container just went up in Crosby, come on Double B, ring in if you can.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I am alive and well. Three down and six more to go. Helicopters are still hovering over our home at 11:00 and night waiting for the next explosion. The sky was clear and therefore allowed the chemical burnoff to go high in the sky before dissipating. It went away from us. Here is a picture from my back porch. By the way, that is not my pond, it's my pasture. The fence has so much junk that has floated and stuck into it that I may never get it cleaned out. Thank you all for your prayers!!

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »
All the very best Double B!  Take care.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
Okay guys,
Has anyone heard from OrangeTxn? I know his area was hit hard and I don't see him posting. Please check in Orange.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
I heard there are many thousand head of cattle roaming loose (after Harvey) searching for dry land and food. They have all mingled and it would be difficult to tell who owns what. They have helicopters dropping food for some of them.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
All,
Thanks for all of your prayers and kind words. GOD indeed answers prayer!!! We had NO WATER inside the house. Water got about 150 yards from our home and just stopped! People 200 yards away from us got water up to eaves of house and it was on 6 - 8 foot piers!! Some lost all they had so my situation was but a minor inconvenience when compared! GOD help me not to complain or murmur when others are SO much worse off than me. We are back in our house, power restored and all we lost was our food and of course the majority of the garden. But, as Job said, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!"
I am blessed, so richly blessed!! To GOD be the glory!!
Thank you all!
You are family!
Curtis
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
AMEN!!! AMEN!!!

Every morning, when I wake up in a dry bed, in a dry home, I start thanking God, before I can even see straight!!!

There are many seniors here living in wet, molding homes that have not yet been mucked out.  No FEMA, no first responders, no Red Cross in their neighborhoods.  My heart is breaking for those who cannot help themselves after this tragedy... :'(

Yes, Curtis, "the Lord giveth, and, the Lord taketh away." 

"BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!"
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Yeah Curtis!! I think all of us that have been through this flooding disaster recently have learned to truly count our blessings.

I am so happy for you and your family and hope that the others that have suffered so greatly can get back on their feet soon.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
Curtis and Gymgirl----Just great news that y'all made it through without home flooding. Yes, God IS good!!!  My heart is hurting for so many people suffering in Houston, La. and surrounding areas---just so hard to fathom what they are going through. God help them all.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2017, 05:36:38 AM »
From the heart, thank you for the expressions of concern.  Yes, Orange and the surrounding area were hit hard by Harvey.  We received roughly 30 inches of rain during a 36 hour period, but at least half of that came down in 8 to 10 hours.  There was standing water everywhere, including areas that have never flooded before.  My family and I were very fortunate.  We had water lapping at our foundation, but didn't get any in the house or cars.  Many others weren't so lucky.

Midmorning on Wednesday the 30th was my defining moment.  The storm had finally passed, I was standing shin-deep in water in the front yard, and I could hear helicopters start to come in low and slow.  It was the Coast Guard - I stood there incredulous and stunned.  They were looking for people signaling for help or stranded.  It was hard to process that it was really happening.

The greatest hardship my family and I had to endure was 5 days without power and the stress and strain from the process.  That's trivial compared to so many others who lost most of what they owned.

God Bless the Cajun Navy and all the other emergency response organizations who brought essentially anything that would float or fly and rescued those in peril.  And God Bless all those who have donated emergency supplies to help those in need.  It's greatly appreciated. 

Now that things are starting to slowly normalize, I'm starting to think about gardening again.  I managed to salvage the okra plants and some of the tomatoes.  Frankly, it amazes me that they survived the inundation of water and wind.  In fact, I had to stand the okra back up and secure them with fence posts.  And, so far, they've bounced back.

Thanks again for all the thoughtfulness and prayers.  It was appreciated.

God Bless.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Glad to hear you faired well thru the storm.God's been busy over the last few weeks but he is always true.
Welcome back!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »
Praizin' God for you! ;D