Author Topic: county fair time  (Read 155 times)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
county fair time
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
it's that time of year!  we are taking the little one to the cabarrus county fair this week.  we went to our local one last year and wanted to try a new one this year!  it looks like it should be much more fun than our local one was.  the little one is very excited to see the pigs race. lol.

https://www.cabarruscountyfair.com/

does anyone on here enter their fruit/veg/animals/baked goods in the county fair?   do you go to your local county fair?

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: county fair time
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
What a great time for you and your family, Michelle. We look forward to this event in our community every year. Last night because we are members, we went to vote on new directors for the fair board.

We do participate in our local fair & rodeo. Ours begins with a cook off that usually has somewhere around 60-80 teams. Then the youth livestock shows begin where the children show pigs, chickens, goats, lambs, steers, turkeys and rabbits. There are also horticulture and canning items that are entered in competition as well as ag mechanic exhibits.  The culmination of this is the auction where all those children sell their animals that placed in the competition. After that, the rodeo begins and it is a blast.

When I was younger, I won the canned competition with my garlic dill pickles and received a blue ribbon. I was really proud of that. If you can participate or your children can I would urge you to do so. My youngest grandson comes over and we can items for him to enter in the fair still today.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
There used to be an old 90 something year old neighbor lady that entered some of her caned goods an she would get something from my mom to enter as well but not in the same category.  Mom was always beaming when she would get a ribbon for her work.  The old lady has been dead for several years so mom doesn't do it anymore.

I have thought about entering some of my art, but I generally have a show that interferes. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
For whatever reason, county fairs in my area are held in mid to late June, so not a lot of vegetables to enter, although I do think there are competitions for baked goods, jellies and jam, and whatnot. The Ky State Fair has all the vegetables on display and winners are awarded ribbons. The crown jewel at that fair is an auction for the prize winning country ham. This year's winner went for $325,000, one in 2014 went for $2M. Corporations bid these things up for the publicity with proceeds going to charity, a win/win I guess, except for the pig.