Author Topic: Parts Cleaner - Crown PSC 1000  (Read 1880 times)

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Parts Cleaner - Crown PSC 1000
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »
A lot of us work on our own projects and needing parts cleaning. I have a Zep parts washer that I had Mineral Spirits in it. The Mineral Spirits worked great, but is a pain to buy in bulk. Last weekend I needed to change out the Mineral Spirits in my parts cleaner and decided to try the Crown PSC 1000 cleaner from Tractor Supply. I must say I am pleased with it and will not worry about Mineral Spirits again. The Crown cleaner doesn't leave a film on the part like Mineral Spirits did. $38/5 gallon at Tractor Supply isn't to bad of a price considering Mineral Spirits was $14/gallon. The Crown cleaner did a good job on the ditcher I am rebuilding that was full of grease too.

Highly recommended.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: Parts Cleaner - Crown PSC 1000
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
The company that I retired from had bean counters an environmental people decided that mineral spirits were not safe for us to clean parts in an went to a water based degreaser, which had a heater as part of the set up, an it did sort of work once the temperature got up.  We were allowed to keep our mineral spirits cleaner as we had to clean stoker parts that got greased twice per day for months at a time. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
I tried the water based stuff too and used a heater, it didn't work. The Crown cleaner is a Petroleum Distillate and am happy with it. As close to mineral spirits as we can get and doesn't have the film like mineral spirits.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
I have two parts washer both 30 gallon I used to use that stuff that harmed the environment stated with the letter V scared to even say it, I really like it, now I use Diesel, once you past the smell you got it, sure miss that other stuff.
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
I have two parts washer both 30 gallon I used to use that stuff that harmed the environment stated with the letter V scared to even say it, I really like it, now I use Diesel, once you past the smell you got it, sure miss that other stuff.

The smell of diesel isn't anything to the smell of that V stuff!
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
We used to use varsol at our shop years ago. I don't know if it is still made. Is that the V stuff ?? 

Hell it looks like diesel to me ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
yes that is what I called V, heck it is very bad for the tree huggers, really liked it, don't think we can get it in this part of the country
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
Having to refurbish a piece of equipment that was slathered with grease by a well intentioned individual (me).  Little did I know there were parts made of nylon that became swollen making the piece inoperable.  It was meant to operate without grease.  So now I have the piece completely disassembled and am trying to remove the hardened brown grease.  I was using mineral spirits which worked - but not very well.  I bought some of the PS 1000 and it works a little better.  I tried to get Varsol from my local distributor, and he acted like I wanted to buy ammonium nitrate.  He doesn't sell it anymore.  I wish I could use Varsol in a pressure washer.  To heck with the tree huggers.....Bill