Author Topic: Scovil Planter's Hoe  (Read 680 times)

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Scovil Planter's Hoe
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
I have had this hoe for many years. I don't know where or when I got it. It has Scovil Hoe Co. Higganum, Connecticut USA Warranted 0 stamped on it.

My question is about the "0". Does that have something to do with the hardness? I know the sharpening end is softer than the body.

Thanks fer any help.
Mule

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: Scovil Planter's Hoe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »
Do you have a picture of the hoe?
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Mr. Scruffy

• Grasshopper
  • "step high jack, there's a log"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:46:26 AM »
 Same question on the Yesterday's Tractor forum. This was the answer. Very interesting concept. Doesn"t say what the 0 means though.

"Scovil hoe built these hoes for plantaions throughout the world. Daniel Scovil started the company in about 1840. Right in Higganum Ct, the building , with all its water works , is still there. Beautiful brick structure. The original mill before 1840 built axe heads. Daniel bought the small mill and proceeded to build the Scovil hoe. It is actually built of 2 metals laminated to each other. One layer being softer then the other. They were hot forged in 20 ton presses. The idea was patented in about 1850. The reason for the bimetal structure is one for strength but basically the softer layer would give way in use before the hard layer thus keepin the hoe always sharp. Hence the "Self sharpening hoe" . The family made millions. Before income tax of course. The family was also famous for the brass buttons on Military uniforms in and around the civl war., Different factory though."
regards,
Ron Denman
29 Plains Rd
Essex, CT 06426
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:48:36 AM by Mr. Scruffy »
Kidney Transplant recipient 6/23/2015 donated by my wonderful wife. She is my HERO.

Opportunity is missed by most because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Orange, TX zone 9a (I think) for now

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
Do you have a picture of the hoe?

No, but I can take one or use one identical from the internet.

How do I post pictures ? I don't use a photo host. I use to use photobucket, but I can't afford them now.

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
 Mr. Scruffy, thanks. I did a pretty good search on google but found nothing about the numbers. I just knew someone here would know.

Offline BigOlButtaBean

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
The 0 should reflect the size of the head of the hoe. A bigger number is a bigger head , if I'm remembering correctly, and I believe I am.