Author Topic: candle making  (Read 708 times)

woodchip gardener

candle making
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
earlier this year i went back up to PA to visit.  while i was there my aunt gave me a ton of stuff including some canning items, crafting items, etc.  part of what she gave me was a few boxes of candle making items.  there is wax, forms, some books and misc items. 

i am not looking to do the forms or tapers yet.  i am really just trying to get a handle on the basic process.  i have watched several youtube videos and read some good info on the web.  the wax she gave me is paraffin wax.  i have some empty jars that i am going to use for the candles. 

has anyone on here made their own candles?  have any good tips for me?   

one question i do have is when to pour the wax.  some of the videos said to pour it right after i add my fragrance and the wax is still hot.  some of them say to wait until the wax just gets a tiny bit cloudy and then pour.  anyone know which is right?

my other question is regarding the wick.  what can i use to hold the wick down so it does not come off the bottom of the jar when i go to pour.  some folks on there use little adhesive circles, but they don't say if they are just reg double sided tape sort of thing or made just for candles.   any suggestions?

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: candle making
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
I used to make candles.

I used a washer to keep the wick straight and wrapped the other end of the wick around a pencil.

I would add my essential oil and crayons for color to the melted wax give it a stir and pour into the mold.

I made candles using sand  to create a mold.

I also remember using quart, pint and half pint milk cartons for molds.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:48:13 AM »
i did not think of a washer!  those i do have.  :)

you can just leave it in the bottom and pour the wax over it right? 

the molds i got are retro fantastic.  they are like star shapes and weird shapes.  i am not sure i will use them.  they seem to have gotten a little brittle with age.  they are fun to look at though.   for now i will stick with jars. 

i do have some essential oil to add for smell.  i had not thought of crayons for color.  i can have my little one decide what color to make them.  thanks for the great tip!

it should be a fun project.  hub is home today, so i might run to the store to buy a big glass measuring cup.  the web videos say you should have one that is just for wax and has a spout to make it easier to pour. 

this should be a fun project!

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »

you can just leave it in the bottom and pour the wax over it right? 

Yes raise it up just a little so the wax goes underneath it otherwise your candle will not set level.

Have fun I always liked making my own candles!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107