Author Topic: Catfishing  (Read 5148 times)

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Catfishing
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
We got any catfishing regulars on here. Well, I might better say Set-hook fishermen. I have been wanting to do this for about 20 years, because of running a store next to a river landing 20 years ago---I seen/weighed a lot of big catfish coming out the river and I could not go because of running the store so many hours per week. Its been on my mind---but just never got set-up--boat was old and had set-up for years. I decided I better get started if I was going to do this---I am 62 now. I bought new boat July 3rd and took my Wife and 80 yr old Mother fishing a few times---then the water got to high for good bream fishing so I decided to try setting hooks until the water dropped back down for regular fishing. Once I set the first time---I have been setting hooks once to twice a week for the last---almost---2 months and been Enjoying it. I choose times to go when There is usually not anyone else there----because of my second time setting---a guy went and set hooks between my hooks----then the next morning we started taking up the hooks and catch----he had spent the night in his truck at the river landing and came by us with his boat to get his hooks, I went around him for my next one, he back around me for his next----Naw---I choose other times during the week---let him have Friday/Saturday nights at that landing. I am minutes from 5 different boat landings so no need to be a Hog---LOL. I been averaging about 6 per night, 8 some nights, 5 some nights, 4 one night, etc. Biggest so far is around 25lb----no one Is catching any Big ones---50, 60lb that I hear of.

I found out the Biologist were on this river in 2014 removing about 500lbs a day of Huge catfish---shocking them, dipping them up and carrying them to the landfill---would not even give them to anyone to eat. I seen pics of BIG catfish they were catching---destroying. Said they have taken over the river---eating all the red breast, bream etc. Guess that's where all the Big ones went. 25lbs is decent but small compared to the 50/60lb ones I was seeing 20 years ago--LOL. I seen a pic of a 70lb one a guy caught last year about 15 miles up river from my area---so I keep hoping!!

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Catfishing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
Hi Pd Riverman  >< I am also like to set lines for catfish, have been doing so for the pass 15 or so years, after i retired, I live on one of the Miss River oxbowl, but do most of my catfishing in the back waters of the Miss in the spring when the river is up, there are some bar pits inside the levee that i fish when the river cornet is flowing through, at that time i catch a lot of Blue Cats, I will 80 my next birthday, don't know how many more years i will be able to enjoy that kind of fishing >< Might have to pull back to the Lake I Live on

What do U use for bait on your lines? I use Cut up hot dogs, cheap bait, If i try it here in the lake, they will rot off the hook and never catch a fish, over there they don't seem to Care >< I can see where it would be a problem with others setting up across U, that looks like a big Mess, >< the Pits i set my my lines are behind a locked gate, that one of the nice things about fishing over there, no other boats
I do do some catfishing here in the lake, mostly in the fall with yoyos, but i have to wait until iys to cold for the Gators, they will wipe out all the yoyos that have a fish on

Rat   
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
I am going to get my fresh & saltwater license this year, an I will be right on the water of Lake Peigneur.  I have always liked to fish but I am one of those that buys more bait & tackle than the fish I do catch would ever come close to being equal, so I need instructions.  I have never used a set line so i need instructions for that too. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Hi Pd Riverman  >< I am also like to set lines for catfish, have been doing so for the pass 15 or so years, after i retired, I live on one of the Miss River oxbowl, but do most of my catfishing in the back waters of the Miss in the spring when the river is up, there are some bar pits inside the levee that i fish when the river cornet is flowing through, at that time i catch a lot of Blue Cats, I will 80 my next birthday, don't know how many more years i will be able to enjoy that kind of fishing >< Might have to pull back to the Lake I Live on

What do U use for bait on your lines? I use Cut up hot dogs, cheap bait, If i try it here in the lake, they will rot off the hook and never catch a fish, over there they don't seem to Care >< I can see where it would be a problem with others setting up across U, that looks like a big Mess, >< the Pits i set my my lines are behind a locked gate, that one of the nice things about fishing over there, no other boats
I do do some catfishing here in the lake, mostly in the fall with yoyos, but i have to wait until iys to cold for the Gators, they will wipe out all the yoyos that have a fish on

Rat

I have a few yo-yo's (were in a tackle box I bought at Auction) but I never use them----really have not set down and try to figure out why I would want to use them? Why?

I mainly use live bream which we are allowed to do as long as we do not have over the limit. I mainly catch them in traps in my ponds/lakes. If a bream dies I might cut it in half for bait. I use a cut up pieces of Greater Sirens when I catch one---they do good on Blues and are TOUGH. I also cut up a snake into pieces if for some reason one has to expire.   

I made up some bait and tried it Night before last and caught 2 blues on 2 hooks using it---the rest were flat heads on live bait.

I use 10 alt hooks and about 200 to 300lb test line for most of the limb lines/set hooks.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:06:57 PM »
I am going to get my fresh & saltwater license this year, an I will be right on the water of Lake Peigneur.  I have always liked to fish but I am one of those that buys more bait & tackle than the fish I do catch would ever come close to being equal, so I need instructions.  I have never used a set line so i need instructions for that too.

Set-hooks, some call limb lines----here we can set up to 50 with a Lic--all hooks have to be tagged with name and fishing Lin. Number----here you can attach them to a limb but have to wait to 1 hr before official sunset time to start setting them and they have to be removed no later than 1 hr after official sun rise. Some do Jug fishing---we can not do that here, but can set one trot line(has to have a registered tag) with up to 20 hooks.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
I talked to Ragan Gardner an he is going to teach me the ins an outs for LA fishing. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
Here on the Lake we don't have very many snakes, that's one of the advantages of having Gators, they love snakes, back years ago when there were very few gators, there seem to be water snakes hanging from just about ever tree limb, not the case any more, Here in the Lake we mostly catch Chanel Cats, this lake is full of them. we have some flat heads. I really don't care for them, i have a friend that loves them. so he gets any that i happen to catch, i do catch a big one every now and then on a trot line in the backwater, I never set a trot line here in the lake, only yoyos

when I speak of setting some lines, I am thinking of setting out a trot line or 2, trot line fishing is the only way i fish the Miss River back water, I have 500 ft & a 400 ft trot line, If i had a choice, i would not catch any thing over 5 or 6 #, I also love the small cats that we fry whole, i think in some areas they call the fiddlers

I use yoyos here in the lake, and catch mostly small channel cats, very seldom any thing over 2# for bait on the yoyos, i use shiners, every now and then I catch a nice white perch, which to me is the best eating fish that swims in the La. waters

Good Fishing Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
Here on the Lake we don't have very many snakes, that's one of the advantages of having Gators, they love snakes, back years ago when there were very few gators, there seem to be water snakes hanging from just about ever tree limb, not the case any more, Here in the Lake we mostly catch Chanel Cats, this lake is full of them. we have some flat heads. I really don't care for them, i have a friend that loves them. so he gets any that i happen to catch, i do catch a big one every now and then on a trot line in the backwater, I never set a trot line here in the lake, only yoyos

when I speak of setting some lines, I am thinking of setting out a trot line or 2, trot line fishing is the only way i fish the Miss River back water, I have 500 ft & a 400 ft trot line, If i had a choice, i would not catch any thing over 5 or 6 #, I also love the small cats that we fry whole, i think in some areas they call the fiddlers

I use yoyos here in the lake, and catch mostly small channel cats, very seldom any thing over 2# for bait on the yoyos, i use shiners, every now and then I catch a nice white perch, which to me is the best eating fish that swims in the La. waters

Good Fishing Rat

I got a tag for the trot line but have not used it yet----the limb lines are keeping me busy. We Love the taste of the flatheads and the Blues are good too---if they are properly cleaned. I rarely catch one less that 5lbs. I would Loooove to catch a 50+lb one--LOL. Think I will go tomorrow evening---maybe.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »
I have caught a number of Blues in the 35 to 40# range, and a couple flat heads about the same size, one time i went to check my line, got all most to the end, something was trying to swim away with my line. turned out to be a Big flat head, no way a net would land it, no gaff at the time, i worked it around to the point it seem worn out, when i grabbed the line to try and bring it in, He said no way, he gave one more fight, and was gone, i went the next day and got me a gaff, most times i have a 22 pistol, if i catch a big soft shell turtle, i shot them in the head before i bring them in the boat

PD >< what state do U live in, i don't have any tags for my trot lines, where i fish there is never anyone else there, behind locked gate

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
I have caught a number of Blues in the 35 to 40# range, and a couple flat heads about the same size, one time i went to check my line, got all most to the end, something was trying to swim away with my line. turned out to be a Big flat head, no way a net would land it, no gaff at the time, i worked it around to the point it seem worn out, when i grabbed the line to try and bring it in, He said no way, he gave one more fight, and was gone, i went the next day and got me a gaff, most times i have a 22 pistol, if i catch a big soft shell turtle, i shot them in the head before i bring them in the boat

PD >< what state do U live in, i don't have any tags for my trot lines, where i fish there is never anyone else there, behind locked gate

Rat

I am in SC. Here you have to tag(each set-hook and each trot line). Have to have a permit for each type, have to have a fishing Lic. too.
(Each limb line has to have its own tag---name and lic #)

I do have a Big dip net but so far have not had to use it----maybe soon. The 25 pounders I have caught I usually bring them in with the line unless the hook is not in a solid place---then I usually grab the lower lip and bring them in----but some times that can get Ruff on the wrist---LOL.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
LOL >< PD, U are right about how ruff a big cat can get, I see those people grabbing those live big catfish with their bare hands, that must take the hide off their arms, the mouth of a big cat is very riff and they can sure clamp dawn

Here in La. being that i am over 65, all i need is prof of my age, as long as i am not selling fish, I can use up tp 5 of the catfish traps if i want, i do set some of the wire traps sometimes in the spring, that a good way to catch a nice mess of the smaller channel cats, I am about done for fishing this year, i have enough in the freezer to carry us into the spring, >< I am getting ready to do some deer hunting

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
LOL >< PD, U are right about how ruff a big cat can get, I see those people grabbing those live big catfish with their bare hands, that must take the hide off their arms, the mouth of a big cat is very riff and they can sure clamp dawn

Here in La. being that i am over 65, all i need is prof of my age, as long as i am not selling fish, I can use up tp 5 of the catfish traps if i want, i do set some of the wire traps sometimes in the spring, that a good way to catch a nice mess of the smaller channel cats, I am about done for fishing this year, i have enough in the freezer to carry us into the spring, >< I am getting ready to do some deer hunting

Rat

Yea it will change a little when I reach 65 as far as lic./tags etc. I do not have the patience to deer hunt----I have deer on my property but I let someone else hunt them. I love deer meat, but maybe I can offer some catfish for some deer meat---trade---LOL. I Keep getting a customer to give me some---have had them to give me the whole deer, in a cooler of ice. I process my own so I keep putting the hint out that I need some deer meat.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »
My days of Hunting while hanging up in a tree are long gone, I have built a 4 house blinds that we hunt from.I love to go and watch the world wake up, I bring a bottle of coffee and a couple fruit cake cookies and i am set. I built them all for 2 hunters, all have heaters and office chairs, Really tough Hunting.that way if someone wants to bring a kid, there is room, sometime i go with someone that i have seen in a while and visit while we look for deer, we have lots of deer here in this area so killing a deer is no problem, we eat about 3 a year, don't know when we last bought ground meat in town, i have our deer meat ground into what they call Bacon Burger, they add back ends to the deer meat, that adds some fat and a good taste, I save the back strap, tinder loin, and so,e times some round steaks, i save all the shank meat for making soup, every thing else goes to ground meat

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline Poppa

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 11:28:15 PM »
I love to catfish too. I mainly use jugs (actually noodles). I started using some limb lines a few years ago and I really enjoy it. We fished limb lines a lot when I was a kid. I need to go but its hard to find the time lately. Poppa

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 08:33:43 AM »
Poppa, I just built me a new set on Noodles, my old ones were getting ragga, so after doing some  U tube looking, I built these with a piece of 1/2 pvc running through the center of the noodle, caps on both ends, with a piece of rebar inside, when a cat hits it make the weigh side to the Bottom, which makes a bang noise, that does 2 things, sounds travels over the water, U will most Likely hear the hit, it also scares the fish and helps set the hook, It also make the noodle stand up right instead laying flat on the water after a Hit, so U either have a Fish, Or u need to rebait that Noodle, One of the Grandsons Like to go with me and catch catfish this way, Its fun if they are hitting

By the time it was all said and done i think i had right at 4 bucks in each new Noodle, they will last just about ever, Might have to change put the cheap Noodle, at the end of the season Wal Mart had them 4 for a Buck

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
My days of Hunting while hanging up in a tree are long gone, I have built a 4 house blinds that we hunt from.I love to go and watch the world wake up, I bring a bottle of coffee and a couple fruit cake cookies and i am set. I built them all for 2 hunters, all have heaters and office chairs, Really tough Hunting.that way if someone wants to bring a kid, there is room, sometime i go with someone that i have seen in a while and visit while we look for deer, we have lots of deer here in this area so killing a deer is no problem, we eat about 3 a year, don't know when we last bought ground meat in town, i have our deer meat ground into what they call Bacon Burger, they add back ends to the deer meat, that adds some fat and a good taste, I save the back strap, tinder loin, and so,e times some round steaks, i save all the shank meat for making soup, every thing else goes to ground meat

Rat

I would probably go to sleep in your stands---LOL. I have a cousin that carries a cooler into his stand every time----he says" I might not see a Deer, but I have a good time" LOL---hope he doesn't fall out that stand.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »
I love to catfish too. I mainly use jugs (actually noodles). I started using some limb lines a few years ago and I really enjoy it. We fished limb lines a lot when I was a kid. I need to go but its hard to find the time lately. Poppa

Wish we could do jugs/noodles, well we can but gets expensive when caught. Take Time---while you can!

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »

By the time it was all said and done i think i had right at 4 bucks in each new Noodle, they will last just about ever, Might have to change put the cheap Noodle, at the end of the season Wal Mart had them 4 for a Buck

Rat

I talked with a few limb-line/set-hookers and I have seen evidence---a lot of them tie their line on the limb then cut it off when retrieving----I ask why--Different answers?? I made my set-hook bucket probably close 20 years ago and I still use most of those hooks/lines today. I Never cut one off---make sure I have all before I leave the river---works Great, no tangled lines. You cut your lines off?

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
I am Glade U brought that subject UP >< There is nothing that pisses me of more than the ones that think they are the only soul on this earth, I guess they have lots of Money, they stop by wal mart or some place, buy a big ball if sting and box of Hooks and they are set to GO >< Someone else has always cleaned up behind them,Or Just to Dam Lazy to clean up behind them selves, when I start fishing in the lake, I see what limb lines & Yoyos are there, if i see that they are being used i do not mess with them, but the ones that i can tell that have been there for a long time, i cut them down, I always try to leave the area where i am fishing in better shape than when i start, I never start cutting Limbs to suit my way of fishing, I have gave gone out on the lake in the early part of a week, there are sometimes Catfish left on the hooks to rot off, every place i set a line or yoyo i place a flag/Survey tape >< When i am done every thing comes out, any string that someone else has tied to the limb gets cut off at this time, i guess some either don't care or don't know how to tie a quick release so knot, so they just take and cut the line form the knot, never mine what that is doing to the Poor Limb, They have no Idea that they are Gurgling the Limb or don't give a Dam, If they would try that around so Part of their Body, They would figure it out Quick

The way I look at the Lake i Live on, Is it Belongs to every Person in this state, I Just happen to live on the banks of the Lake with 300 ft of Lake Bank to take care of
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
I am Glade U brought that subject UP >< There is nothing that pisses me of more than the ones that think they are the only soul on this earth, I guess they have lots of Money, they stop by wal mart or some place, buy a big ball if sting and box of Hooks and they are set to GO >< Someone else has always cleaned up behind them,Or Just to Dam Lazy to clean up behind them selves, when I start fishing in the lake, I see what limb lines & Yoyos are there, if i see that they are being used i do not mess with them, but the ones that i can tell that have been there for a long time, i cut them down, I always try to leave the area where i am fishing in better shape than when i start, I never start cutting Limbs to suit my way of fishing, I have gave gone out on the lake in the early part of a week, there are sometimes Catfish left on the hooks to rot off, every place i set a line or yoyo i place a flag/Survey tape >< When i am done every thing comes out, any string that someone else has tied to the limb gets cut off at this time, i guess some either don't care or don't know how to tie a quick release so knot, so they just take and cut the line form the knot, never mine what that is doing to the Poor Limb, They have no Idea that they are Gurgling the Limb or don't give a Dam, If they would try that around so Part of their Body, They would figure it out Quick

The way I look at the Lake i Live on, Is it Belongs to every Person in this state, I Just happen to live on the banks of the Lake with 300 ft of Lake Bank to take care of

I clean up after them too---here the lines Have to be off the limbs no later than 1hr after official sun rise. So when I get to the river a couple hrs early in the evening----I remove all left tags and cut all lines off that I come close to----and when I leave from retrieving my lines the next morning---all surveyor tape is removed and I do tie all my lines with slip knots---all my lines are put in place so they are ready for the next trip. I am keeping my eyes open for some land joining the river---but no luck. I can find some a block off the river----naw!