Author Topic: Catfishing  (Read 5123 times)

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Catfishing
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
PD have you ever put out any trot lines at Lake Murky, I mean Lake Murray?
Well 27 degree's when I hit the water at 4:30 am, 90% of the app 40 hooks still had the bait on them only 2 had a fish---a 6/7 lb cat and a mudfish about the same size----not a very good Morning----I guess they do not like these cold days/nights??
Retired in South Carolina.
Zone 8a

"Wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could".

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »
PD have you ever put out any trot lines at Lake Murky, I mean Lake Murray

No, that's a long way from me. Keep in mind----I am 62---think I am 22 some times----have No dedicated fishing partner---going hours away, or even going to deeper/bigger water is not something I feel I should be doing alone---My Wife would Have a Heart-Attack while I was gone. LOL So I hang close home---I have seen MANY Big Fish brought out of this river close to me some years back, BUT none to amount to anything recently. I found Out the Biologist shocked and removed MANY, MANY catfish from My Local river in 2014----I am Thinking---come on---gotta be missed some---LOL. I just Want 1 or 2 BIG ones for right now. I have had a few state they have caught some 40 to 50lb ones in early spring of this year---I have only seen a pic of a couple---I just got started cat-fishing 3 to 4 months back---did fish a little--very little for them back in the 80's, early 90's but then if I caught a 10lb one---that was a BIG fish. I want a BIG One---so I keep Trying. I am going again soon(couple days) to a spot I have caught some each trip to see if they are still biting good during this cold weather. I wonder if the Feeding Times has a effect----the other Night was a BAD night--if feeding times work--LOL. I also wonder if the catfish are territorial---do they stay in the same place/area most all their life? I wonder a lot of things about them---Fishing for answers--which is why I try new spots. As soon as I get a good fishing partner(if I do)---we will hit the farther, bigger water and probably stay most of the night working the hooks--then take them up and go home so we would not have to drive a long ways back the next morning early. To Be Honest I like fishing/setting hooks alone---but I do realize I have to be careful---I have Lost several friends/family in the last years---at this same river I love to fish. I realize its not the river's fault that they died---it was their mistake in each case. I unload some mornings before Daylight at one landing and Have a Mental Conversation with a close Friend that Died right where I am unloading----I thought the world of him----70 and alone--he unloaded his boat---did not get it secured on the bank before pulling his trailer out---he seen the boat drifting away in the running water----he Pulled off All his clothes---pilled them onto the tail-gate of his truck and went into the some what cold water(early spring) to retrieve his boat---he probably did not realize the water dropped almost straight off to 12/14ft plus the cold water---he did not make it.

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »
Don't let your age stop you. I'm 65 and I do as much as I want. Ok sometimes my body says otherwise. LOL
Retired in South Carolina.
Zone 8a

"Wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could".

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2017, 07:11:39 PM »
I got my little boat together, put the stickers on it and took it to the river this evening for its first test run with the 5hp motor. I went into a Lake I had not seen or been in for over 20 years probably---I was not able to get my new boat into it but this boat will. I want to set some hooks in it---to see if there is anything of size in it. I know when The Biologist did their shocking and taking the catfish out 3 to 4 years ago--they did not go into some of these lakes----could not get into them with a decent size boat. I got to drop my motor down on the transom but I felt that was going to have to be done when I set the motor on it. I will get that done---set the boat up for catfishing for right now---and go test it out. I was Very happy to get this Boat repaired and back on the water after so many years---felt good riding in it again. I built this boat in 1985, its 12ft long--slight V bottom. Bottom is about 48" at the widest place. I ran a 50 Mercury on it for years---that's whats been on it all these years it has been setting up. I wanted a small motor to make it easier to get into Small lakes---I found this like new 5hp Mercury and feel sure when I cut the transom down some to drop the motor---it will work good and be all I need and I am very happy. Wished I had the bait and hooks this evening when I was testing it---LOL.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
Don't let your age stop you. I'm 65 and I do as much as I want. Ok sometimes my body says otherwise. LOL

I really don't. I do everything I did when I was 20, even though I pay Dearly for it the next few days---LOL. I can not run as long or as fast or swim as easy---so I be cautious!!