Author Topic: my first high tech piece of equipment for automobile service  (Read 861 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
my first high tech piece of equipment for automobile service
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
I found my cam dwell and tach meter. For a long time all I had was a feeler gauge and a good ear for tune ups. You could just about point your finger at my vehicle, car or truck, and it would start. I think I got this meter when Jewel got the 74 Pontiac Le Mans. All I had to do was drop them in and use the meter to set them. I remember back in the day if you could find a flat head Ford that the head had never been pulled off you had made a pretty good find. I could replace a head gasket in my sleep. It was a little harder to replace one of the water pumps. Didn't have the A frame to pull a motor, used a tree limb. Those were the days.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: my first high tech piece of equipment for automobile service
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:02 AM »
Mr Monroe , thank you for posting that.
I too still have mine from years ago.

I like to keep these Fords tuned and running good.

Online Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
Monroe, still got mine to and even the growler and the timing light, seal puller and the soft plug tool installer with a bunch of soft plugs, wonder why come we still have that, think it is memories of when we had no money and had to be the mechanic on our own things.
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline Mr. Scruffy

• Grasshopper
  • "step high jack, there's a log"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:13 AM »
Still have my old Sears timing light. Have built a few small block chevys back in the old days. Talking to my mechanic friend the other day. He's been a Chevrolet mechanic for almost 40 years. He called the old days, the "carburetor days".
Kidney Transplant recipient 6/23/2015 donated by my wonderful wife. She is my HERO.

Opportunity is missed by most because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Orange, TX zone 9a (I think) for now

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
I grew up working on just about every and anything beside my Dad. Not long after I started going over to Jewel's house I overheard her Dad mentioned a wheel bearing was going out on his cattle trailer & had no idea what the axel came off of. He was amazed that I knew it was from a early 40s Ford. We went to the wrecking yard & pulled everything needed. He told everybody in the country about Jewel's young friend.

Offline farmboy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
Man, I too, still have most of the tools you have all mentioned.Never got rid of anything, just added to it all. Really do miss some things about the old days. On the other hand, 100,000 mile tuneups, brakes that last almost as long, just to mention a couple sure beat the 10,000 mile stuff.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
farmboy, buy some spark plugs, put them up,  some day before long you can show them and explain what they were used for  to a young mechanic.

Offline farmboy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
MONROE, I already have some of the younger motor heads coming by  to help them troubleshoot carb problems.

Offline BigOlButtaBean

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
I am amazed by the number of repair shops in this area that cannot properly adjust points, set timing or adjust a carburetor. If they get it to run, they call it good. It's not exactly rocket science.
  Guess their $8,000 scan tools don't have google on them.

Offline farmboy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 11:03:11 PM »
My guess is there must not be an app for that :o