Author Topic: Help Making Pepper Sauce  (Read 842 times)

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Help Making Pepper Sauce
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
I need to make up a new bottle of hot pepper sauce, the kind where U put hot Vinegar over the peppers in some kind of jar/bottle >< the way i do most times is put a couple cloves of garlic in the bottom of the jar, add some mustard seed them fill the jar with red & green hot peppers, then pour hot Vinegar over this

I would like to try something different if any of U happen to have a different recipe, I have heard of adding some kind of oil, don't know what kind,

I like to add a dash of this to my mustard greens once they are on my plate and it getting close to that time

Rat   
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Help Making Pepper Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
Lakerat-----I got this off the internet, and it sounds like the one my mother in law used to make,which was good. Has the oil in it so may be what you are wanting.   

Southern Pepper Sauce Recipe

Print
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
10 mins
Total time
20 mins

This pepper sauce recipe is a Southern family favorite. Perfect to serve with cornbread, greens or peas, this pepper sauce recipe is one you'll turn to again and again.
Ingredients
1 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil, optional for extra hot pepper sauce
about 30 small peppers
Instructions
Clean jar, lid, and band and rinse well. Keep warm.
Mix together sugar, salt, vinegar, and optional olive oil in a stainless steel saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until it begins to boil.
Fill jar with peppers and pour hot vinegar mixture over the peppers. Leave about 1 inch of headspace from the top of the jar
Remove air bubbles in the jar by tilting jar slightly to allow bubbles to escape as pepper press against opposite side of the jar.
Wipe jar rim to clean. Place lid on top of jar and tighten ring.
Allow jars to seal by setting on countertop to cool with about 1 inch in between each.
Test seal after about 12 hours by pressing finger to the center of the lid. If sealed, it will not pop back. If not sealed, refrigerate and use.
Store in dark, cool cabinet or pantry for up to a year.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
Thanks Rabbit >< I will save this recipe to my Recipe folder, and make up a batch in a day or so, with this frost that i think we will get tonight, the Pepper bushes will be History >< I have 8 Hot Pepper bushes, and i have picked over 30# of the red ones, i have been drying them and grinding them into red pepper, about 3# of fresh picked red pepper will dry down to about 10 oz. of dry pepper, them i put 3 oz. in a Vac. seal bag, i think this way it should last for every if its stored in a freezer, i will share it with some of my friends that like hot.red pepper, this is not cayenne red pepper, it s about 3 time hotter, now one knows the name, it has been passed down to one another for Years, I was Blessed to get a start of it about 10 years ago

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »
 Lakerat..That sounds sooo good to dry/grind your own. There is a guy in Gatlinburg,Tn(not too far from us) that sells his that he grows and grinds ,and it is our favorite. He uses a combination of jalapenos, habaneros,serranos, and a secret blend of 2(?) more.   About how long,on average, do you let your dry before grinding and bagging? Think I will try to do it next yr----we LOVE hot peppers!

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
We like to dehydrate our sweet peppers and then grind them to a powder.  They work great when you want that sweet pepper taste like in a pasta sauce but don't want to cook something for hours.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
I like straight pepper and vinegar for collards, it doesn't seem right adding pickling spices to a hot vinegar for collards but I like it in pickled greenbeans. That's just me. You should try a few different ways and see what you like. If you leave the peppers whole it takes a while for the vinegar to get spicy so I like to slice mine open, fill the jar, boil vinegar, fill the jars and cap them. They will seal in a few hours. They will also last once opened on the counter.

If you want to spice up a bigger jar of mostly vinegar then use the chow chow method. Run the peppers through the food processor long enough for a rough chop but not minced then add that and vinegar to a pot and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes, cut off the heat and jar immediately.  This process is best done outside, a mask might help too. The vinegar will be ready in a day or two.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »
Rabbit, it take about 3 day to dry a load in my small dehydrator, it has 5 racks, 3 # of peppers is about all i can do at a time, I dry them down to the point that i can crumble them in my hand like dry leaves, I have gloved on when i do this, them i run them through may mill twice, that gives me a real fine power, before i had this dehydrator i use to dry them in the oven, set the oven on 175 and keep a watch on them, doing jt this way will really smell up the kitchen >< Once i have a batch dried, if i am not ready to grind them at that time i place then in zip lock so they don't pick up any moisture, Once i am finished grinding i weigh it up in 3  oz. batches and Vac seal it If U live close i would give  U a sample of it, or if U want to try growing some of this pepper i could send U some seed,

Mike i had never though about drying sweet peppers. i will give that a try next time i have sweet peppers, I was given a sample of some smoked jalapenos, he said they were smoked while green, then dried and ground, I has a very nice aroma, and a very unique flavor 

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
Lakerat - you get that long simmered taste without the long simmering. :)
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »
Rat,

I guess everyone makes it a little different but I use all kinds of different peppers. Usually Anaheim,
cayennes, jalapeños, & chili pequins.

AfternI wash my peppers, I use a knife and cut a slit all the way through the large peppers so they will take the liquid into them. I pack the clean peppers into sterilized jars and put a couple pods of garlic in with them. Next I take four cups of water, two cups of vinegar and a half cup of pickling salt. Bring that to a boil and dissolve the salt and then pour it over the peppers. Leave 3/4" of headspace and water bath can it. We use it on steak, pork, greens and just about everything you can imagine.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 09:27:30 PM »
Yep, Double B! Everyone has their favorite way of making it, I like spicy so I won't turn my nose on any. I grew white Devils Tongue this year and made chow chow===WOW. It has a bite but it's so good.

Lakerat, I'd like a few seeds of those peppers, we can trade too. I have just about any pepper seeds you might want. Let me know and I'll send them out.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
Thanks, Lakerat---That sounds like something I need to try for sure. Thanks for the offer of seeds,too, but we have a friend who cannot garden anymore due to MS, and he has offered me his seeds. He is giving some to all his friends----grows all kinds of peppers.