Author Topic: Brew/Boil Pots  (Read 527 times)

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Brew/Boil Pots
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »
About 10-12 years ago when I was homebrewing beer, I found I needed something larger than my 10 gal. Stainless Steel brewpot to brew 10 gal. batches of beer without the threat of a boilover. I mentioned this dilemma to a brewing guru at a local liquor store. His solution was to sell me two 15.5 gal. beer kegs, for $20 each. Turns out thats the amount of the deposit required when buying a keg full of beer. I was somewhat suspicious that this was kosher but he assured it was, telling me to come back after the weekend and he would pick out 2 nearly new ones for me and he did. I took them to a local welder and he used a plasma cutter to cut a hole in the tops then smoothed  the cut edges with a rotary file. I installed spigots with a filter and a high quality thermometer and they are excellent brewing vessels.

I don't know if such a deal is available today with the cost of metals these day. He told me he thought they were stainless steel even though they are non magnetic. I understand some SS alloys are non magnetic, I do know the kegs were a real bear to drill with a step drill and I never got any off tastes/flavors from brewing beer in them.

Anyhow for those of you who boil large quantities of whatever, this might be a possible solution.

woodchip gardener

Re: Brew/Boil Pots
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
what a cool idea!   :)