Author Topic: Onions  (Read 613 times)

Online Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Onions
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:45:44 AM »
Hey everyone,
Was wondering if anyone would have any extra Candy Onion seeds for this year?  I have looked at several online places but can only find the plants and they are $25.00 a bunch.  As a new gardener I have the bar set pretty low and 25 bucks is a lot of pressure to out on myself if they all end up dying.  I don't have much to trade except some seeds from Burpee.com i bought last year, they mostly all came up.  I'll let you know what I have if anyone Is interested.
Thanks
GATA DAWGS!!!!
Great state of Jawja zone 8

Offline Alan

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:57:00 AM »
Georgia,

Look at Dixondale Farms or Omaha Plant Farm.  They are not as expensive as $25.00 at either place and their price includes shipping. The more bunches you buy the price per bunch get less.

Alan

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:44:10 AM »
Georgia Clay,

Unless you plan on using the seeds to plant in the fall I think you are too late to plant from seed. You will need transplants to plant this time of year. Hopefully you can visit with your local feed store and they will order a case of transplants and that gets the price down to about three dollars a bunch. There are typically 75-100 onions per bunch.

I got four different Gardeners from my area and we all put in $20 and got a case with free shipping from Dixondale. It worked out to a little less than $3/bunch.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »
Georgia Clay,
I do not know if you live in Georgia or if you do what part of Georgia. I live in Coastal GA next to the Vidalia growing counties, Zone 8/9. I purchase onions (granex plants same planted in Vidalia) from my feed and seed for about $3.00 a bunch of 60. I bought the last two bunches in December.  We plant our plants here the middle of November to the end of December. They will be getting onion sets in (small dried onion bulb) this week or next which you can plant now. They are sold by weight.  I would think you need to plant  onion seeds during August or early September but Someone on this forum from your zone will tell you.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:14:14 AM »
Thanks Daniel
I thought onions were sowed in the spring, I didn't realize they are a fall crop.  I am in Middle Georgia, Macon area.  After watching Donalds videos I was getting excited about having some good home made onion rings.  Maybe I'll just look for a different variety.
GATA DAWGS!!!!

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »
You can still plant some onion sets. I was at my local feed and seed and they will be getting their onion sets in this Friday. They should produce onions but not the big onions  like you would get from planting onion plants. Mark your calendar for next October to look for local plants at the feed and seed. You plant them with a spacing of 6 inches between plants and at least 10 inches between rows so 60 plants do not take up as much space as it sounds
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online Georgia Clay

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Thank you Daniel I'll look in to that.
GATA DAWGS!!!!