Author Topic: Advice in buying a PTO Tiller  (Read 685 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Advice in buying a PTO Tiller
« on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »
I recently bought at Kubota L2501 with FEL and have a cultivator and row hippers, but am in the market for a PTO Tiller.
I have researched the Land Pride RTA 1250 and the King Kutter TG 48Y.
If I shined a flashlight on both, they would basically cast the same shadow............SO, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE????
I know the Land Pride only has 4 tines per flange and the KK has 6
The Land Pride has "C" shaped tines and KK has "L" shaped.
I know 6 is more than 4 so that should provide an advantage, but what about "C" and "L" shape?
I am thinking forward rotating tines, but really don't know why.
I need some of yall who have used these or are partial to one to chime in and send some advice/wisdom this way.
I would rather buy new so I have a warranty and will probably buy local.  I live in NW Ark (Fayetteville...walmart/Tyson....) but am building a new house to relocate in Northern Alabama (Athens) in about 4 months.   I'll buy down in 'Bama.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Oh yeah, I am looking for a 4' tiller.
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b (soon to be Limestone County, Alabama)
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Advice in buying a PTO Tiller
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
Ccat Both are good name brand tillers.  The only thing I could suggest is that you get one the width of your tractor tires.  I purchased a 36" tiller to pull behind a Yanmar 26 HP tractor.  It is not wide enough to cover the tire tracks and poses some problems but nothing real bad.

Good luck
Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
Read recently that Kubota bought Land Pride and will sell under the Kubota name.  Not sure what this has to do with anything.....  I have a Land pride 48 inch pto drive counter clockwise rotation.  By varying the forward and pto speed, it can make a bed as fine as sand to whatever size you want coming out the back end.  It's built like a tank and is a chain drive unit.  Hope this helps in some way...Bill

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
I'm not sure if you are one to try to avoid sales tax but when we bought our tractor and implements we were still South Carolina residents.  That meant that when we bought our tractor in Tennessee there was no sales tax.  You aren't far south of the border.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:48:53 AM »
CCAT, I do not know what part of 'Bama you with be but I would consider Agri Supply in Tifton Georgia.  I do not think there is one in 'Bama. I have the 48 inch Caroni (Agri Supply) and have been very pleased with it. Agri Supply stocks parts for everything they sell. If you have never been in an Agri Supply store it is awesome, as large as a Walmart and is a farmer supply store. My tiller is a chain drive. After research I prefer the chain drive. If you hit something substantial you may break the chain. If it is gear drive it is an expensive repair. On the smaller tillers the gears on the gear drive are small not like on the larger tillers. Everything Attachments sells a tiller that is the L tine. They prefer the L tine. If you watch their video he explains why. Their shipping is free within 1000 miles.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Thanks yall.   I appreciate the info and MikeM.....sales tax???....never thought about that.
No sales tax in Tenn?   Yep, I'll be just a few miles south and will check places close to them.
Rural King is opening a new store in Muscle Shoals tomorrow/Feb 18 and have King Kutter and Tarter.
I will check that store out on my next trip down to Bama.
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b (soon to be Limestone County, Alabama)
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »
As others have said, make sure the tiller is wide enough to till out your tire tracks or you will be disappointed. In addition, make sure that the tiller is rated for the horsepower of your tractor. You can get too much tiller for your tractor.

The remark about hitting something with your tiller and breaking the chain reminded me of an old video that Donald had years ago. He said when working new ground, break it up deep with a middle buster first so this doesn't happen. Instead of tearing up a $3,000 tiller, the $150 middle buster with a wide plow will eliminate that concern.

The middle buster is also a great tool when making furrows or digging potatoes. It is a must have in my opinion but can save lots of tears instead of destroying a brand new tiller. Good luck with your new place and future gardens.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »
ccat - we have a sales tax but the tractor dealers don't charge it to folks that are from out of state.  The dealer at Yearwood Kubota in Fayetteville told us they have more business out of Alabama because of that.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:53:14 PM »
Not sure how much land you have ccat but here in Texas if you have over seven acres and apply for an ag exemption you receive a card to carry in your wallet. Any equipment, chemicals or other farm related items are all exempt from taxes. My 20' trailer I use to haul my tractor cost $6 per year for tags because it is a farm trailer. My 10' gold cart trailer cost $68 a year for tags because it is not a farm trailer. I paid no tax on my tractor of any implements here in Texas. Check the laws in Alabama and see what the requirements are. In the long run it can save you thousands!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
Check out tillers on Everythingattachments.com.  They sell good stuff and shipping is free. I have purchased multiple attachments from them and all work well. I have a Sigma (Phoenix) 73 inch tiller that I have had for 7 years with no problems.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:10:21 PM by corl »
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline Matt Lowery

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
I bought the King Kutter 72" last year and have been pleased with it. IT weighs 780 pounds and really does not jump around in the hard soil. The gate leaves a super nice seed bed when in the lowered position or raise it up just for busting up the ground. I was going to buy the tarter (cheaper) but read about rust issues and seals leaking on brand new tillers. The local TSC company had two returns on the yard for these reasons. Even the guy on everything attachments gives king Kutter good recommendations.  The next choice for me was the frontier brand at John Deere but nearly $4,000 and a lower weight turned me on to the KK. Mine has found a piece of 3/4 hot roll steel and rolled it like a pretzel with no apparent damage.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum Matt. I am glad you are pleased with the King Kutter. I hear good things about them too.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 11:16:31 PM »
CCAT,
I looked at your tractor and it has 24.8 HP and a PTO of 19 HP. I would seriously consider the Caroni chain drive from Agri Supply. They have a 48 inch model Caroni tiller rated for 16 HP to 40 HP. You need to be careful not to pick a model that will stress your tractor. This is the model I am using wit my two Kubota 18HP and 21 HP. They handle this model tiller very well. If you review my earlier post I noted the all gear drives in the models for low HP tractors have small gears and they do not hold up as well as the chain drive . They are also fairly expensive to repair in comparison to replacing a chain which you can most likely do yourself. Also I have never dealt with a store that supports their customers as well as Agri Supply. As I mentioned there is a store in Tifton, GA which is in southwest GA. not far from the Alabama line.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation