Author Topic: Ammonium Sulphate  (Read 663 times)

Offline Lance

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge area
    • View Profile
Ammonium Sulphate
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
can we apply Ammonium Sulfate in water like Calcium Nitrate?  Or more like Ammonium Nitrate?

Merci

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Re: Ammonium Sulphate
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
I've been sprinkling mine, and watering it in...
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
I have never mixed calcium nitrate in water, but I have done it with both ammonium nitrate and ammonium phosphate.  I figure what I need for my rows and dissolve that much into the water and feed it through my drip tape.  Also must have a filter for drip tape.  I also do it with Miracle Gro.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:53:42 PM by bigboberta »
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:04:04 AM »
hi lance

i read up on this for a bit.  several of the sites i read said it is ok to mix with water, but to be careful on how much since it is naturally acidic.  the wiki page gave an amount for use

70.6 g per 100 g water (0 C)
74.4 g per 100 g water (20 C)
103.8 g per 100 g water (100 C)[1]

there are roughly 236 grams to a cup.

on a related note, i read an few interesting sites that noted that some folks put ammonium sulfate in the water that they mix with their roundup.  apparently if you have hard water it can interfere with the effectiveness of the roundup. 

http://www.monsantoito.com/docs/PROMAX_Amonium_Sulfate_use_Hard_Water_issue_TUG.pdf
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
Please educate me.  What do YOU use these for in you home garden?

Ammonium Sulfate
Ammonium Nitrate
Ammonium Phosphate
Calcium Nitrate

Thanks, in advance.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
Linda,

It really depends on what your soil test shows as to which of these you would use. My corn ground showed that I was low in nitrogen so I will use it to bring my nitrogen levels up. Ammonium sulphate is 21% nitrogen and 24% sulfur. These are inorganic salts but before adding any of this to your garden I would highly recommend a soil test. There are other methods that may suit you better in raised beds but larger plantings benefit from larger applications.

Someone that knows way more about fertilization should be able to weigh in and provide more information.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Lance

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge area
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
Thanks all-Best way to use Calcium Nitrate is to dissolve in a  lot of water and pour over tightly growing crops like carrots.  I bet it is best to bury and water well Ammonium Sulfate like Ammonium Nitrate so free nitrogen will not pass into the air and become useless .

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
Thanks, Brent!

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
Gymgirl  Keep in mind that the various fertilizers will change your soil PH.  Ammonium sulfate will lower your soil PH.  You would use it if you need sulfur to improve your soil or if you are trying to lower your soil PH.

Calcium Nitrate on the other hand will raise your soil PH and is used with lower soil PH and soil low in calcium.

If you are just trying to add N to your soil, such as sidedressing corn,  a better choice would be ammonium nitrate which is 34-0-0 NPK and will not screw with your PH.

So Like BB says you need a soil test to see which one you need.

Hope this helps

Ben

Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
Thanks, Ben!

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »
Ammonium Sulphate is often used on onions for growth and the Sulphur also sweetens the onions. I think this was mentioned in a recommendation from Dixondale or either  a book on growing onions that I read. I read a comment recently but do not recall the source that you can use Gypsum and it does not alter the Ph. I had never read that previously.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:25 AM »
   Gymgirl,, My chemistry is really rusty but ammonium sulfate/nitrate/phosphate are all salts formed by reacting ammonia(week base) with a strong acid -sulfuric/nitric/phosphoric. all will decrease the soil pH some. So you are also adding sulfur (good for blueberries,onions), Nitrite which over time may be converted to nitrate. and Phosphorous if you use a lot of organic mulch tends to build due to not leaching as fast as potassium and nitrogen.  and calcium nitrate adds calcium but I don't think it affects the pH as much, caluim is a strong base. I think urea is a pure nitrogen. This is not gospel, but how I consider things so usually I just try to rotate nitrogen sources.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
Thank you, guys!

This is a wealth of knowledge I'm getting here. 

Whitestrout,
My Savvy Soil Report showed high levels of Phosphorus in my raised beds.  No doubt due to the leaf mold compost I make and spread around liberally!  Didn't know that about organic mulch!

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
Gymgirl,

You cannot buy ammonium nitrate in Harris County. It was outlawed back when the Texas City plant exploded years ago. Bomb makers have also made it tough to get some fertilizers near large cities. I was at American Rice Growers (Liberty County) buying fertilizer this morning for corn and you can't even buy it in a county that borders Harris County. I had to buy 33-0-0 and it has 11% sulphur but sometimes you have to take what you can get and move on.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
Gymgirl--  Glad to learn that you have a soil test done so that you can add the correct fertilize to your beds.

DoubleB-- is that a law just for the sale of ammonium nitrate or does it include possession of it also.  Just curious.

Thanks
Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Mr. Ben,

It is just the law on the sale of it. I could have bought some when I was at the lake but it slipped my mind.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
I can buy ammonium nitrate here in Montpelier LA.  I only buy 100# at a time, I am not sure, but I don't think you can buy large quantities without a license. I buy it every year.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Lance

• Grasshopper
  • Baton Rouge area
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 09:58:15 PM »
Good info in this thread. I have never used Ammonium Sulfate and I bought mostly for corn. So, I will try it and add something new to soil.  Ammonium Nitrate is available for sale in Baton Rouge too.

Offline mphymel

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
Good thread, I have been drip taping for years now, and never tried running the fertilizer this way, will do it this year, bought one of those injection mix tanks from the Hoss tools folks.

I was wondering if normal fertilizers were water soluble.

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
Good thread, I have been drip taping for years now, and never tried running the fertilizer this way, will do it this year, bought one of those injection mix tanks from the Hoss tools folks.

I was wondering if normal fertilizers were water soluble.

Make sure you have a good filter.  It will clog emitters.  Also, I have a venturi syphon and I clogged it up this week.  While cleaning it up I lost the ball and spring.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:13:00 PM by bigboberta »
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA