Author Topic: Ford 3000 Tractor what do you think?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Ford 3000 Tractor what do you think?
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:08:55 PM »
I have been looking for a bigger tractor than my old 21 hp Kubota and found a Ford 3000 which is a 45hp diesel tractor. This one runs good and PTO and lift are in good working order. It has a drip from the injector pump which is not a cheap item to replace, New Ford pump is $738.00 and an after market pump is about $480.00. It comes with a new Tractor Supply scrape blade ($250) and an old but serviceable box blade. I have him at $3000 but may be able to get him down to $2800 or $2900. With the 2 implements this would be about $2400 to $2500 for the tractor. The hour meter stopped at 1800 hours and I would estimate 2000 to 2200 hours which would indicate many more good hours left. I just want it to pull a disc harrow, turning plow and or my 48 inch tiller for the garden (a bit less that an acre). I may use it with my 5 foot bush hog and finish mower to mow my friend's grass where my big garden is. If I ever locate the place I want I might use it for other things. Even with replacing the injector pump it seems like a pretty fair to good deal to me. Also these Fords seem to hold their value. I was wondering what you thought? Are any of youf you familiar with this tractor?
I look forward to reading your comments.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Notalotofarm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Ford 3000 Tractor what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
3000 Ford is one of the best and most reliable ever built.  Most areas have local injection pump shops available. Price sounds like a bargain. condition of rear tires is a factor, as they are pretty expensive.  Power steering is a good option but they steer pretty good with manual steering, especially with an implement on the back. Parts price and availability for those Ford models is very good.  I think I would go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Not all those who Wander are Lost"  JRR Tolkein

Offline DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
I agree with Notalotofarm. Sounds like a good price to me.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
Tires are new and you can still read the print on the surface of the lugs (on the tread). New tires are a good deal I think as they are expensive.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
I have a Ford 2000 which size wise is close to the same thing. Never had any issues except I would like to have a tiller but due to it being a 4 speed the ground speed is too fast to me to use one. I liked the tractor a lot for what I use it for but would have gotten a 3000 if I knew then what I no now about the tiller situation. I did have to buy a rear tire last year and one rear tire cost me right at $300.00 dollars including mounting if my memory is right. Good tires do mean a lot when buying one. Mine is gas so not sure about cost of diesel but sounds like a good deal to me.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator, push planter, fertilize spreader and numerous manual labor tools

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
Sounds like U have found a good deal, if U are handy with wrenches, I think U can pull the Pump off and have it rebuilt cheaper than buying a rebuilt one, I don't know where U are located, when i was in the Laf. La. area, i used a Injection shop in New Iberia, they did very good work

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline mphymel

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
 I too had a 1968 2000. The 3000 is better because of the live PTO which will let you clutch out the transmission while letting the PTO keep running. I think that will also stop your rotary cutter from driving your machine forward when you don't want it to. This was my only complaint about my venerable old 2000.

FYI I sold my 2000 for $2200 around 2013, so you are definitely looking at a good deal. Mine lacked the power steering, and I was really wanting a HST with a FEL, and boy do I love that thing.