Author Topic: 1 gallon pump sprayer  (Read 903 times)

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
1 gallon pump sprayer
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
Does anyone know of a good 1 gallon hand pump sprayer? I have 4 but only one works, and you have disassemble the wand valve and tip each time.  I know they are cheap at the box stores but I would like one I could depend on. Actually almost all the problems are with the wand not the pump or canister. Maybe a good replacement wand?
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

woodchip gardener

Re: 1 gallon pump sprayer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
what brand do you have now?  i would need to know that to see what is out there that would fit your model/style. 

my landlord was here when he first took over the property.  he had a cool weed killer sprayer.  it had the handle you pump to build pressure along the side and not a top pump like my cheaper plastic one has.  it had a metal spray rod on it and not a plastic wand.  he made short work of spraying along the base of the house and over by the swingset for me.  very fast and was a backpack, so easy to handle.

let me know on the brands of your canisters and i would be glad to help look something up for you.

also, when i did my initial search, i saw that gymgirl had a posting from 2012 on another board regarding replacing her canister due to lack of quality with what she had.  maybe we can get her to give some info.

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »
Woodchip,  I have a flo-master and a D.B.Smith  bleach sprayer.  Both are one gallon size.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
We have a plastic tank sprayer with a replacement brass wand, an the nozzle gets plugged on it.  I try an get a good rinse after every use, but I still seem to get the plugs.   The down side of that is the brass nozzle has lots of fine threads an it takes for ever to screw it off an then back on.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
 Yeah, I try to rinse my after and before each use and the off on button valve still sticks.

woodchip gardener

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
thanks for the info whitestrout.  i will look into this some more.

can i ask, are you putting bleach into the regular fertilizer/spray tanks?  from what i read online, the generic spray pumps you get at the big box stores are for fertilizer or weed killer, etc.   they are not designed to handle the bleach.  apparently if you try to use them with bleach they will stop working because the bleach will eat the seals.   

most of what i read is with the seals.  they fail regularly and need to be really cleaned after each use to stop them from breaking down and causing leaks.  i read that the ones with VITON seals are the way to go.  they are less likely to break down and seem to be in most of the higher end set ups.

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »
I usually put bleach in the bleach sprayer and oils, insecticides/herbicides in the other. BUT not always, Sometimes it is what I find and what is working that I use.

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
Solo makes some good quality sprayers.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »
Back when we had an antique shop in the '80's, my folks bought a stainless steel sprayer with a brass wand.  We used it to apply a thin paint remover  to furniture and it worked  great. I remember that it had vitron seals. and if you can believe it, I still have it almost 30 years later.. I have had probably a half dozen or more of the cheap plastic sprayers and there they lay scattered in the old smokehouse- (now a storeroom well house) The old stainless is still usable. It cost a lot then maybe 60$.. but is still indestructible  unlike all of the plastic door stops and foot trippers... I really need to toss those plastic things but I just can't yet...always thinking I get the seal kits for them.
 The brass or chrome wands are a sign of a good sprayer  if you ever see one at a garage sale grab it.  I have a two gallon stainless one I found at a flea market  ($10) in the 90's- it's still waiting on me to get the seals  but the brass wand is what makes it like money in the bank to me. 
edit: One of the  very small translucent  inline fuel filters will solve the nozzle clogging forever.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:37:02 PM by bordercollie »
Central Mississippi

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
Thanks for that info,  I will try the in-line filter and look for a brass wand.  thanks again.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
Just getting here, BUT, I'M HERE!

Here is the 2-gallon, stainless steel pump sprayer with the brass wand that I purchased a couple years ago, in 2012.  Still love it, and, IT'S STILL CUTE! 

P.S.  Buy extra spray tips when/if you order one.  They do get a little wonky, cuz they're plastic...

http://www.sprayersdirect.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=42012500&Category_Code=

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268492/#b
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:11:33 PM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 08:28:57 AM »
Thanks GG that looks like a really good sprayer.

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 12:05:32 PM »
Whirestrout, i have been down that same road with Garden sprayers, i have 3 or 4 of the cheap box store ones, back in 2012 i found a sprayer made by Gilmour, i liked so well that i bought another one in 2013, I think the ones i have are what they call muti-purpose Model 101P & that may have changed, It also has a pressure release on the side of the tank to release pressure before U open it up,  I use one for different weed & Brush killers the other one i use for different things i spray my garden with,

These sprayers have a large top, U can reach your hand inside if need be, one of the main things i like is they have a very large air chamber compared to the cheap $ 10 ones, in 2012 i see that i paid 29.80 for the first one, they come with a Parts book, and i have ordered parts a couple times, once U see what parts are going to need to be replaced, U should get a couple extra, I am still using both of these sprayers

U can mix up a Gal of what every, Pump it up and go spray, U don't have to stop ever couple steps and pump it back up, I am not saying U can spray out a Gal with one pumping, just saying its not a Pain in the U know what to try and spray something and keep having to pump up the cheap ones

I got the ones I have from a local Hardware, I don't know if it true value or ace
I am sure they can be found on line, I just have not needed on for the last 5 years, I did make a parts order a couple years ago, and still have the O Rings and such to keep going, i can see these sprayers lasting 10 or more years with just a little TLC

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
Thanks Lakerat1 I will be sure to check out the Gilmour sprayers.