Author Topic: Long life tiller  (Read 508 times)

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Long life tiller
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
Talked to a man shopping at a garden center. We were commiserating about the cool,rainy weather that we cannot get rid of. Somehow the conversation went to tillers----of which I know nothing about , since I do "no-till" gardening. He said he had bought a tiller in 1980, and he had never once had any problem with it. He said it was a BCS tiller. Said it cranks right up and goes to work every yr.....since 1980. From what I hear from friends about some tillers, I think that is quite remarkable. Was wondering if it is still a good brand? I asked him, and he said he did not know, because he had never had to buy a new one. Amazing!

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
Re: Long life tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
The BCS tiller is the top of the line and is pricey. I had an original Horse model of Troy bilt line when they were a company. I bought it in 1973 and it blew its engine in 2009. I considered it a good investment at the time. I now just till with one attached to the tractor.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
What Dave said! Buy once and cry once! They are spendy but there are enough different attachments that you can do nearly anything with them. If I were younger I would surely buy one.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:57 AM »
Sounds like the tiller is all the guy said it was. Always so good to have something that lasts---especially theses days of such shoddy materials.