Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle ??  (Read 1851 times)

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Crepe Myrtle ??
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:01:06 AM »
  Would like to transplant a crepe myrtle. Its about 6'' in cir. and 10' tall. Is this possible . I frankly know nothing about these buses.

Rick

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Crepe Myrtle ??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »
I don't see why not. As with any move, try to avoid as much root damage as possible. These trees are tuff as nails. I would cut it back a bunch when you transplant it. I used to cut mine back every year and would get beautiful showy blooms each year. Mulch it good so when it comes out of dormancy in a month or so it will have moisture and less shock.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 03:36:26 AM »
I helped a scout troop - I was just manual labor - to dig up and move 6 crepe myrtles.  They were 1/4 of the size of the one you're talking about.  I have to confess that it was a pretty rough process.  More than a few roots were chopped/hacked, and only a small rootball was left.  I was not optimistic about the survival of the trees.  Every single one of the them survived.  Yes, they're pretty tough trees.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Online DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
Rick, I think you will be successful, with the directions from DoubleB and OrangeTxn.  I literally pulled one similar to what you have, up by the roots with the end loader. It was where I wanted a small garden. As I was taking it away, I decided to attempt to relocate it, so dug a hole, eased it in, filled the hole and gave it plenty of water and some triple 13. It is doing well 3 years later.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »
Just note the depth of the root ball. 

Crepe Myrtles don't send their roots very deep, so keep that in mind when you transplant it...

Also, they're still in dormancy for now, but, not for much longer. 

Hurry up and transplant it, and go light on the fertilizer until it gets established.

They ARE tough as nails.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
Another tip, if you leave ANY roots still in the ground from where you dig it up, they WILL grow! You will have sprouts coming up from every little piece of roots. This can be a good thing (or not).

Curtis
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:04 AM »
Ditto what Curtis said.  I've had 2 cut to the ground and have to fight the roots sending up new trees.  I'm fixing to down another big one almost 30 years old.  Seedlings also come up everywhere and I can't give them away.  I'm tired of fighting all the suckers that come up off the root crown and I'll replace it with something more tame.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
Just remember to keep it watered this whole growing season, U should be OK

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds