Author Topic: water stove  (Read 432 times)

woodchip gardener

water stove
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
i saw an ad on our craigslist today that someone was giving away something called a water stove.  it just looks like a big box.  the interesting part was they were also giving away 4 solar panels that are somehow tied in to it. 

has anyone ever used a water stove.?  i am not interested in getting it, but i think it was something interesting to learn about.  why would they need the solar panels if it is a stove?  there is not that much on the web about them and what is out there i am not really understanding what they do. 

any info would be appreciated.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: water stove
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
Maybe this is what yu are talking about....????

http://www.hickswaterstoves.com/

woodchip gardener

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
hi rabbit

yes, i saw that page.  it had some info on it, but i don't really get the set up.  it seems like it is a wood stove you keep outside, but has some sort of tubing in it and i have no idea what the c10 stuff is and what it does.  it did say it can tie into your existing heat system but has it's own thermostat.  then what are the solar panels for?  it says the heat comes from a water tank somewhere, but how does it feed into a blower if it is hot water heat.  i thought hot water sort of set ups had the pipes that go under the floors and such.

i was just wondering if anyone has used one, how they actually operate and if they work well.  it is the first time i have seen this sort of thing. 

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
C-10 is a rust inhibitor you put in the water. You don't drink that water but use the heat from it to heat your home or a special hot water heater tank with coils in it to heat the drinking water.

Watch this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aGrpDHe8zE

woodchip gardener

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:23:40 PM »
thanks ragun.  i was looking up water stove and there was not as much out there.

these are the pics from the listing.  it looks pretty old.  if someone had a big shop it might work for them.  these folks must have been pretty brave (silly?) to have it right by the house like that.   

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
Looks like a wood fired boiler.   Don't know why they would call it a stove.  As for the solar panels I would think they are completely separate item.   The outdoor boiler has a bad rap as they cause a lot of smoke when they are at a low fireing rate, but they allow the home owner to heat with wood.  You would put a heat exchanger (radiator) in the ductwork of your current heating system an heat your house.   They work well with in floor radiant heat for a barn or garage too.  The biggest problem is you have to get dressed to go outside an feed the beast!  Not a fun job in the dead of winter in the north country.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer