Author Topic: Fig cuttings  (Read 563 times)

Offline bmbobbymack

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Fig cuttings
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »
I have never rooted any, but watched it on youtube. Would anyone have some that would do well i. Northwest alabama? Im zone 7a.
3 acres of alabama red clay, determination, yanmar 2500, tiller, yard box, bush hog, middle buster, cultivator, plenty of sweat...

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Fig cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:40:31 AM »
You could check on Ebay or Figbid.com. Don't buy any from overseas on Ebay because it is not legal to bring them in.  I have already started all my dormant cuttings for this year.  Ourfigs.com is a fig forum you may want to check out.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline bobcatgardener

• Sprout
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
Bmbobbymack I could send you some cuttings if you like. The trees are not very big and I am not sure the variety. They make a medium fig.

Also have a old tree at my grandparents homestead. I could get some from there. Makes the same type of figs.
I to have a tree I just planted with the large purple figs but there's not enough there to take cutting from.
If your interested shoot me a pm and I will get them out to to you.

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »
When is the best time to take cuttings from your tree? I'm guessing in the summer after the fruit is done?

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:08 PM »
Usually dormant cuttings from the winter to early Spring are used to start new trees.  Summer cuttings can be done but is usually more trouble.  An air-layer can be made of a growing shoot during the growing season to make a new tree also.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline bmbobbymack

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 09:11:29 PM »
I live in northwest corner of alabama. (Zone 7a)...do i really ha e to wrap up my fig trees in the winter? Do i ha e to really plant them on south side of a building? I went and purchased two bare root fig trees i found. Celeste and texas everbearing. Anyone in the know please fill me in as i am cursed with a deadly touch to figs.
3 acres of alabama red clay, determination, yanmar 2500, tiller, yard box, bush hog, middle buster, cultivator, plenty of sweat...

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »
You can grow figs, don't stress. Drive around and find some trees then ask people what fig they're growing and while you're there ask for a few cuttings.   Figs root easy but it takes a while so don't think you can get figs in a year from a cutting. It doesn't matter when you take a cutting. I start mine in fall and just let them root all winter.

Chicago Hardy is a cold weather fig that most people grow in cooler climates but I think most will grow in your area.

Put an ad on Craigslist asking for cuttings or trees, I'm sure people will respond.

Offline bmbobbymack

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »
Great idea thanks. Do you think in my area I need to wrap them at winter or plant south of a building?

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
You might need to wrap small trees but once they get established they should handle the cold. I would mulch the tree in the winter to try to help it from freezing.

Here's some info for you to read
http://www.aces.edu/search/ACESresults.php?q=fig