Author Topic: COVINGTON pLANTER  (Read 516 times)

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
COVINGTON pLANTER
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
First time Covington Planter user. I bought a new CP with the 5 shank cultivator. I planted Sweet corn with it, later all came up, no problem. Then I switched seed plates to plant peas and beans and I think the points on the cultivator makes it dig too deep for peas, as I have planted twice and nothing is coming up. So my question is, do most users remove the cultivator tips when planting so only the planter itself has contact with the soil? Some advice needed please.
Thanks
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A
135 acres mostly hay fields
JD 5525, JD 5075E, Kubota L2501, JD 458 Baler and a Covington Planter

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
Re: COVINGTON pLANTER
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
The first thing I did when I got my Covington was to remove the cultivators all together.  At planting time your seed bed should be weed free, no need to cultivate.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
Thanks Donald.
I will give it till this weekend, if no peas or bean emerge I'll run the roto tiller over the area and with the cultivator tips off, replant.
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A

Online Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
Donald, is being modest! He has a very good video on setting up the Covington planter. You cand find it on YouTube.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
Donald's cultivator frame is different than mine. The info from Covington says that one is not available anymore. So I got what is called the old Pittsburgh style. For planting peas I think it pushes too much dirt with the center shovel. Anyway I think Donald is correct to take the listing point off. I'll try and see how it goes.
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »
Try lengthening your top link some. that will raise the front of the planter to shallow out the shovel/opening foot. Your cultivator sweeps should only run a couple of inches below ground. You may have to re-adjust your sweeps and opening disc depth after that. YMMV

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:45:17 AM »
third time is the charmer......I did as you said by lengthening the top bar but also took the listing tips off. re-disked the ground, run the roto-tiller over it and replanted. OMG peas are popping! looks like I will have a total of about 2000 ft of peas this year for the first crop. It's a good thing I have a motor driven peas sheller, but they still have to be picked, I can handle that.
Thanks for the advice.
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A