Author Topic: garlic bolting  (Read 502 times)

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
garlic bolting
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
This has been my first successful year growing garlic.  Only the elephant garlic variety is now bolting.  What do I do now?  Just let it bolt?  Should I pull it out and freeze it?  Any help will be appreciated.  Bill

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: garlic bolting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »
its supposed to do that....let  the leaves turn brown and dig it up
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
Billygoat, it is NOT time to harvest yet. You can cut the scapes off this will direct more energy to the bulb, but you don't have to. If you do there are recipes for using them. The plants are just now starting to bulb now. When the leaves start dying check around the base of the plant to make sure the bulb is large. You basically want to harvest it as dies but before the stalk starts to rot, maybe a couple of green leaves left.. There is good info on Youtube on harvesting and storing elephant garlic.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
starting to harvest elephant garlic today.  The one year bulb are still round, the plants I cut the scapes off have made nice 3 to 4 inch bulbs.  The plants I let flower are making smaller bulbs.  I will leave smaller non-flowering bulbs in the ground for next year's crop.  Also the little brown bulblets go back in the row. Some bulblets will grow plants this fall.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:55:10 AM »
I have read if you do not cut the scape/flower stem when it gets ready to bloom the garlic bulb will be up to 30% smaller than if you cut it off.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:56:19 AM »
OOPS, the reason is by leaving the scape/flower on the plant is diverting energy from bulb development to the scape/flower
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »
That seems to be true.  To verify that for myself, I cut some and let some flower. The ones I cut off definitely were larger bulbs.  Only been growing these a few years so I am still learning (making mistakes).

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
I cut off the scapes and chopped them in a basil pesto.  It was delicious.  Dug around the plant, but not much of a bulb yet.  Thanks for all the info and pointing me to youtube.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
If you plant soft neck garlic which grows and produces better in the south(especially in Zone 8-9) the do not produce scapes. They also tend to produce larger bulbs.

Whitestrout- Where did you get your Elephant garlic?

If you save the largest bulbs and plant cloves from them you will get larger garlic and they will better adapt to your local climate/local over time.