Author Topic: 3pt planters  (Read 505 times)

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
3pt planters
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
Hello guys and gals I'm new here but have been lurking around for a while.
Lots of good info for us fairly new gardners.

Have a question on seeders.
I'm looking for a small seeder to use behind my tractor.
Was looking at a couple different ones. The Cole Planet Jr but I guess it has no way to space seeds so it is sort of out unless some could knows a way to set it up to space.

The other one is the Jang JPH-U. But I can't find any info at all on them as to how well
they work. So if anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

I used a Covington several years back and it worked fine but was wanting somthing a little more
compact.

Thanks for letting me join guys

Walker

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: 3pt planters
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
I should add that I would mostly be planting corn and peas

Thanks

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum Walker,

I don't have any personal experience with the seeder that you are looking at but the reviews I read praise it for it's precision planting of small seeds like broccoli and lettuce but also says it doesn't plant larger seeds worth a darn. If your intended seed to plant is corn and peas, I would sure look a little further.

We are glad you are here,
Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I started off real good. I meant to ask about the Jang TDR-U planter which is meant for large seeds.

Sorry

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
Walker, Check Sutton Ag in California for the Jang. There are 2 versions/models of Jang or Clean seeder. The Jang and Clean Seeder are essentially the same and parts are interchangeable. Sutton is a large company but very pleasant folks and easy to deal with. They will give you very good customer support. Back to the 2 different models of Jang/Clean Seeder: One is for smaller seed and the other is for larger seed like corn and peas. It is a precision seeder and spacing is easily adjustable by changing the sprocket.  I would recommend the model with the opening discs to drop the seed in especially if you have a sandy, loose soil or use a tiller to prepare the seedbed. I have many friends who are commercial market gardeners who prefer the Planet Junior which is still made by the Cole company in Albany, GA. If you look around you can find an old Planet JR. I picked up one for $300 including shipping with the 3 seed plates from an individual who had been using it to plant corn behind his ATV! My friends tell me if you select the correct hole for the seed it will space the seeds fine. They should know because as I said they are commercial market gardeners who plant carrots, lettuce, greens, peas, beans, etc in large quantities. They said they do not have to thin. The planet Jr is all steel and iron and like mine it has already out lived at least one person. I have not used mine yet because I have to make a bracket to connect it to my Tuff Bilt tractor. I have a Cole MX12 that is built like a tank which distributes fertilizer alongside the row as it plants. I have at least 6 seed plates for it and the different sprockets to plant most anything. It is easy to change the plates and sprockets and will reliably plant everything but the smallest seeds. The advantage of this planter is it lays the fertilizer in the adjusted amount. Mine is just the planter with its own 3 point hitch not attached to a cultivator. Donald has an old video on setting up the Cole MX12 that is helpful.  If you watch Craig's List you can pick up a very good condition MX12 for $400 to $700 with all the plates. My stars were aligned and I purchased mine for $200, as new condition. Do not purchase the BLUE CHINESE version of the Planet Jr. or Cole MX12. They are not the same and not built as well. I also have the HOSS dedicated seeder.
After all this verbiage I can say each planter has its advantages and downsides. The Clean seeder is light weight, has a lot of plastic parts, which is ok. It has seed rollers which you purchase for each size seed. Corn and peas have several rollers depending on size of seed. Sutton will assist you. You can even mail them your seed and they will select the roller. The rollers are 425 to $35 PER depending on which size seeder you purchase. The planet Jr. comes with 3 seed plates with several holes in each plate and you select the hole that best matches your seed (select the largest seed among the seeds for the crop you are planting). It is durable and out last you. As I dais I have not used mine but my friends swear by them and they could have purchased a Jang. The Cole MX12 would plant everything you want and also distribute the fertilizer in a trough made beside but separate from the row where the seed were planted.  I have had no problems with the HOSS seeder except it has some difficulty at times with barrel shaped seed and it did not like Fordhook seeds last year. They were so large and thick. It planted regular butterbean seeds without a problem. After reading this, if you have any questions I would be glade to try to answer them.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
Walker, I should have mentioned the Planet Jr. used on a tractor is the 300 or Maybe it is the 300A
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:45:42 AM »
Daniel thanks for all the information
I need to make some decisions
Can I pm you later?

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »
Please let us know what you selected and why. We are an inquiring mind!

Offline Oxbow

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
Have you thought about finding an old Deere 71 planter row unit that is mounted on a small 3pt hitch toolbar?  You can generally find them on Craigslist in the $600-$800 range.  Yetter still makes the same row unit (called the 71), and seed plates aren't very expensive on eBay.

How much corn and peas are you planning on planting?

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »

I can't help you with your question but I did want to say hello and welcome to the forum.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »

I can't help you with your question but I did want to say hello and welcome to the forum.

Between me and my two neighbors we are planting just over two acres of peas and
and close to an acre of corn plus some beans.

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:51 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied.

Walker

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »
Walker, The John Deere 71 planter is also popular and holds it's value. I would look for a JD-71 or the Cole MX12. Either one if taken care of will out last you and can be picked up on Craig's List or at a place that sells used equipment. The Mx12 new comes with the 3 sprockets used for spacing and 6 plates. I am not sure what the JD71 is supplied with.

Offline Oxbow

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »

[/quote]
Between me and my two neighbors we are planting just over two acres of peas and
and close to an acre of corn plus some beans.
[/quote]

I would definitely look for a JD 71 (or Yetter 71 if you want to buy new) if you have that much acreage.  You can buy seed plates new from Lincoln (you can send in your seed and they will tell you the plate needed) or you can buy them on ebay.

They are hard to find, but Deere had a special "vegetable hopper" for the 71 that was smaller and handled smaller seed better, but for peas, corn and beans the regular 71 is the "cat's meow."

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
What would be a reasonable cost on a used 71?
Only found two so far. One that looks well used for $500.00 and a long drive and a completely refurbished one for $750.00 which includes shipping.

I have no ideal what the are worth.

Thanks

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
Walker, If the planter is really refurbished, well cleaned, painted and all worn parts replaced and has the seed plates you need and comes with the 3 point hitch the $750 is not out of range if it includes delivery and it is everything he says. With this one you could hitch it to your tractor and toss in the seed and plant.  I would have him send you some pictures.  Most of what I see is two and 4 row 71 planters. I think the single row are harder to come by.

Offline Oxbow

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
There is a two row planter for sale on Craigslist that is located in Rayville for $600 (search "deere planter").  That is a decent price.  Take off one of the row units and either sell it or keep it for parts.

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:40 AM »
We ended up getting a used Cole MX12
All planted out for now. Will give it a workout this fall.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »
Walker, I have an MX12 and have been very heavy with it. it is very heavily constructed and a design that has been tested for many years. If you did not receive a manual there is a free one available on the Cole website. If you have any questions about the planter or about which plates to use I have found the people at the Cole factory to be very helpful and responsive. They do not sell any parts to the public/owners but will tell you what you need and the contact info for the dealer nearest to you. There is a YouTube video by Donald that is very helpful in setting up the MX12. There is also one by everything attachments. If you have difficulty finding them I can forward them to you.

Offline Walker

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
Thanks Daniel
Luckily it came with a manual
My neighbor is playing with it.
Think it going to work out fine for the larger plantings