Author Topic: Jang JP-1 and purple hull peas  (Read 527 times)

Offline Dwight Hardy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Jang JP-1 and purple hull peas
« on: May 07, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »
Wife talked me into getting a JP-1 for some carrots,onions etc. One of the easiest things
she ever done.lol

Anyway when I ordered it it had some rollers I did not think I would ever use so I swapped out
two hopping to use them for cream peas and purple hull. Cream peas will come later.

I got the BL-12 for the PH peas but to much binding up and to many skips. Most of the skips
were caused by the smaller peas hanging up in the holes.
Won't go thru everything I tried to stop the bridging or skips and will get to the short answer
now.
Get you a 7/16 drill bit and open up the holes. Careful not to make them any deeper.
My problems are solved I think. You got to love my wife. She was very understanding
wile I was in the living room and hall testing out my work. The carpet worked well for traction
and for the most part kept the seeds in place where they dropped.
Two quarter hoppers full with hardly any skips. Really none on one hopper but most want buy it.

Got to risk up another row and see what happens in the real world.

Ordering a R-9 to try for the cream peas.

As info only and as we all know seed size is the catch 22 but with a little work it will work.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Jang JP-1 and purple hull peas
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
Congratulations Walker,

I hear great things about the Jang products and I hope you are happy with it. As with any seeder, the size of the seed determines how well they will feed and plant. I hope one magic day someone will make an affordable seeder that will plant green beans reliably.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:47:44 AM »
As I said previously, the Jang and the Clean Seeder are nearly identical and share the same rollers. I have heard about individuals making rollers on the new 3-D printers. In fact, there is someone who attends many gardening gatherings who sells 3-D made rollers. AS you noted you can drill the holes wider and also deeper.  I talked to someone from Texas a few months ago who had the Jang for smaller seeds. He drilled out some rollers to accommodate his corn and peas and said the planter did a good job planting the larger seeds. I look forward to hearing how you like the seeder. Please keep us posted.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Dwight Hardy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 05:36:14 AM »
I tried some sweet corn and it did not do so well but now with the Cole that doesn't reall matter.

Update on the PHPs.
Planted three 50 rows and it did real well. Hardly any skips and a few doubles so I'm happy.

I tried some cream peas with a different roller I had drilled out and things did not go very well.
Lots of long skips.
Not sure why. It is possible they were to deep and just did not come up. I check them every morning
and a strangler or two show up ever now and then but not many.

Offline Dwight Hardy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
Well most of the problem with the cream peas was the seeds.
The seeds were givento me by a friend who harvested them from last years planting.
They are all over as far as size.
The skips wer caused by two smaller seeds getting wedeged in the roller holes. Somttimes
sever holes would clog at the same time but would eventually come loose.

Couple of things causing the seeds to wedge along with size.
First the brush is stiff enough that it will force two smaller or one large and one really small
seed into the roller hole were gong them in.
Raised the brush up until it would not force the seeds in.

Next the felt covered flat spring would do the same thing. Removed it which cured the wedegig but
caused the seeds to fall out to quick which put out way to many seeds.
Got to looking at it and decided it needed somthing soft to hold the seeds.
until the roller hole was pointing down. For time being I cut and folded over
a couple layers of paper towel that basically fit wher the spring plate fit.
After a little tweaking it is working real well with only the occasional really small seeds
getting together on sticking in a hole. Usually with one or two rotations the dislodge.

With some tweaking the JP 1 does a really good job.
This year when I save some seed I will be careful of the size

As info only

Thanks

Offline Dwight Hardy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
Not sure where this will end up but I have a roller that I tried to get to plant corn. Running Ned the
roller for anything else. Well got to thinking that I needed some way to side dress some things and no way I'm paying for a fertlizer attachnment. At this time I had to remove the felt covered flat spring plate. If left In place it was binding a lot and I doubt the felt covering was going to last long.
With it off it leaves a fairly even trail of fertlizer.
With a little roller work and right gears I think it will work well enough for most applications.
Time will tell.

Being retired gives me plenty of time to tinker.

Offline Dwight Hardy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »
Forgot to add that you can choose how close you want to lay the fertlizer and how deep.

Online Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
The cole will do a great job with the cream peas, PHP, corn and okra.  Sutton Agriculture in California is a great vender for the seed rollers for Jang and the Clean Seeder which are interchangeable. They are very responsive.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Dwight Hardy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
Your right about the Cole planter and I expect me and my two neighbors will get a lot of use out of it.

I keep a separate personal garden in my three acre yard and am using the Jang for most of its planting.

Thanks for the tip on the rollers.

Online Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
Dwight,
I was at the Southeastern Expo this week and was looking at a Clean Seeder. They had a roller that did not have holes but was rectangular cups that the larger seed could drop into. They also has one that looked like a star roller with fins that rotated. He said they planted beans and sweet corn with this one with no problems. Have you use your Cole for planting yet?