Author Topic: The year was 1955  (Read 405 times)

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
The year was 1955
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
THE YEAR WAS 1955... 

(if I didn't live through it, I wouldn't believe it myself)

Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter?         

If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00,  Nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.             

When I first started driving, who would have thought Gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon?  Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.             

Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball?  It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.             

I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They're even making electric typewriters now.     

It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.     

It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.                                                                                                       

I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.     

Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the government takes half our income in taxes. I   sometimes wonder if we are  electing the best people to government.       

The fast food restaurant is convenient for a quick meal, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.     

There is no sense going on short trips any more for a weekend. It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.     

No one can afford to be sick anymore.  At $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.             

If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it.   

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
Re: The year was 1955
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
I paid $350 for a 1950 Studebaker PU in 1953. I made over $1500 off my AG projects my Jr. and Sr year of HS. The summer between Jr & Sr I worked 10 hours a day six days a week for 50 cents hourly. I scooped chickenxxxx working for my self for $4 per building 20' wide 120' long. I hauled hay for 15 cents per bale put in the barn. Jewel was a typest at 50 cents hr. We married in Feb. 1955 at age 17 and 18 with money in the bank. When I went to work in the stock room of a dime store I felt like the old Army saying--" Instead of everyday in the Army mine was "every day in that stock room was like Sunday on the farm"

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:20 PM »
correction---I was reading this to Jewel & was informed she was 18 when we married. that 10 hr a day job I was working for a seed cleaning co. and loading trucks. I was put driving one of the trucks later in the summer.

Online MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:34:52 PM »
I can relate to most of those things.  I was born in 1950 ang got hired out to farmers doing manual labor in my teens for 40 cents an hour.  I worked for one farmer who was generous because I busted my butt and he paid me $1 an hour but that was unheard of back then.

Just before I graduated High School in 1969 gas was 32 cents a gallon in St. Francis, Arkansas.  :)
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
I remember in 1971 when a friend of ours was complaining because a carton of cigarettes cost $3.33. Think they are probably $45--$50 dollars now for a carton....maybe more??? Dog food was 10 cents a can but cannot remember when that was....probably in the mid 1960's.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
cokes went from 5 cents to 6 cents after we married--I'm glad they were only a nickel when we went to the filling station in the old truck. sometimes we would think to take a glass with us but when we didn't she took a drink then I took a drink

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
I remember gas price wars and the price would get down to $.19/gallon. We also had our tiger tail hanging out of our fuel tank door. My Dad worked for Humble Oil and Refining Company and we had to have a "Tiger" in our tank!!

We didn't have any air conditioning and when I think about the good ole days, I sure like these days and the modern conveniences!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
I thought the 55 Ford was the prettiest car on the road especially the crown vic.

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 01:35:33 AM »
Mr Ben, thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it.

I remember those days from long ago too.
Mr Monroe , I still think those 55 & 56 crown vic look good.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
Just a couple more items that came to mind.

Monroe-- can remember when cokes went to $.06.  The vending machines came out with a coin mechanism that had an extra slot for depositing a penny.  Also had to pay the establishment another $.05 I believe for deposit on the bottle.  The bottle deposit was almost as much as the coke itself.

Rabbitproof---- when cigarettes went to $.31 per pack and purchase from a vending machine you actually had to deposit $.35 but the cigarette package you received had 4 shinny pennies from the factory included in the pack for your change.

DoubleB-- I think most who have posted on this thread will remember the old gasoline pumps where you hand pumped the gasoline by means of a lever on side of the dispenser, into a clear glass container that had markings of how much gasoline you were getting.  Then you put the nozzle into your tank and the gasoline was gravity fed into your tank.
Northwest La. zone 8b

Online Monroe

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
Jewel & I have many memories of the back roads going to the filling station for that nickel coke. We also can appreciate what it took to get that nickel. By the time 1955 came along we were mature 18 year old adults.

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 03:11:32 AM »
Those Coca Cola stoppers were used to play checkers at the local service station  in the small country town where I went to work as a 12/13 year old  after school and Saturdays when the crops were laid by.

Oh the many , many memories of the times at that little country store.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:34:08 AM by crazyhorse »