Author Topic: Using preem in a flower bed.  (Read 294 times)

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
Using preem in a flower bed.
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
I've got a flower bed that I've string trimmed and hoed to get rid of weed but the weeds come back in a week.  After I clean it up again can I use Preem to keep the weeds down.  Does it do anything to keep perennial weeds from coming back.

I've never used Preem before. 

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: Using preem in a flower bed.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
Dwight, My understanding is there is 2 versions/formulations of Preem. 1 is an organic approved which is corn Glutton, The other has other chemicals mixed in.  It retards seed germination but not plant growth. It will impede the growth of weed and certain plant seed development but I do not think it will affect weed development that has already germinated. It might interfere with flower seed germination. I would read the bags of both versions and ask your agent at the local extension office. You can purchase corn glutton at some feed/seed stores. Given the weather we have had already you weed problems and question is going to be a popular topic of conversation  for gardeners too.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
I use Preem, when I remember to put it out. It does help with the weeds and the way I understand it, is when you clean your bed and then put it out and water it in. It gives off a gas that stops the seed from germinating.

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:49:30 PM »
I have used both varieties and the organic didn't work but for maybe two weeks. The original Preen works well for several months for me. I rake back the mulch, pull existing weeds and rake the Preen into the topsoil. After that I mulch heavily (3"-4")
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline T-Boy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
I put it right on top of the mulch. It works for me.
The heart of Cajun Country: Lafayette, LA Zone 9a
Laissez le bon temps rouler!

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
The herbicide active ingredient in Preen is Treflan, which is a pre-emerge herbicide. You can buy Treflan in a granule form or in a liquid form too, and get more bank for your buck.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a