Author Topic: Green bean cutter  (Read 235 times)

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
Green bean cutter
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
Does anyone know of an automatic green bean cutter?

Not a frencher.

I always plant a large number of green beans, like 50 to 100 quarts each picking. But trying to sit and snap that many is painful. Does anyone have a gadget that cuts em mechanically?

Thanks!

-Greg
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Green bean cutter
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
Greg I don't have a cutter such as you are looking for but I have a method that saves  my fingers and some time. First off I pick each bean individually not by the hand full. I grab the bean about a half inch below the vine and pick it up in such a way that it snap at that point. No need to take the stem end off later. When I'm ready to snap I don't, I cut. I set my beans on a table with a cutting board on it near the edge. On a chair I place a pan right under the edge of the table where the cutting board is. I grab a hand full of beans from the pile on the table and slide them over to the cutting board, about 6 to 10 beans. Using a very sharp thin blade vegetable knife I slice the beans and push them off the board into the waiting pan in one fell swoop. It takes a little practice but it not a long learning curve. Now with that said you will not come out with uniform pieces of beans. Some will be 1 12" long, some will be 1" long and some will even be shorter. But once cooked the size of the snap (cut) doesn't matter. I used to put up 150 qts a season but now with the children gone I put up around 75 qts. We also eat  2 to 3 dozen qts fresh from the picking.
"gene"