Author Topic: Any wine makers in the house?  (Read 328 times)

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Any wine makers in the house?
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
I just started two 6 gallon batches of hard apple cider.  It'll be ready for bottling in a few weeks and is just the ticket on a hot summer day.  It's ingredients are apple juice, corn sugar (or leave that out) and some wine yeast.  I have two 6 gallon glass carboys (jugs) and it should be starting to ferment when I get home from work tomorrow.  After its done, I'll add a little more sugar and bottle it.  It'll ferment a little more and carbonate in the bottles.  A week or so after that, I'll pasteurize it and it'll be ready to enjoy.

I've also made scuppernong wine from my own scuppernongs that turned out really nice.  Also done a strawberry and blackberry that wasn't good, but wasn't bad either.  Also made one mead (honey wine) that is just awful.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:32:17 PM by adrianrog »

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Re: Any wine makers in the house?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
Adrian I used to be heavy into wine/cider/mead/shine making. Now I only do a batch of blueberry about once a year to give out at Christmas time.

Ciders are tricky gotta time the bottling just right for what you're doing to make it good.

What kind of yeast do you use?
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »
This batch and the one I use most often is Lavlin 71B-1122

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/lalvin-narbonne-yeast-71b-1122

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »
Like your cider with some kick eh?...lol

I used to use cuvee’ purple...champagne yeast...early on in my booze endeavors the batch I was trying to make cider with went a bit long and became apple wine. I hurredly bottled it...big mistake and made apple scented glass grenades...lol

I switched to pears after that and made a nice warm honey pear wine I was never quite able to duplicate. Too bad too...that stuff was lovely.

Now since I dont drink anymore I make the one batch of blueberry using cuvee’ red. I also do the odd batch of Irish or Hillbilly white wine when I get nagged enough...*wink*
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
It should end up around 6-6.5% ABV.  Here is what it looks like around 24 hours in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgvtwEJLZpE

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:48 PM »
Here is 48 hours in...

https://youtu.be/uANqj4KneC4

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »
  I have dabbled in wine making over the years.  I have all the equipment on hand still and occasionally consider revisiting it as I did enjoy the process.  I also do home brew.
  I have most recently considered making Elderberry wine since this year there seems to be an abundance of Elderberries on roads.  This post may be the impetus necessary to spur me in that direction.   ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
A hard apple cider is easy and delicious.  Carbonating them without making bottle bombs is a little tricky, but you can do it if you read up on it a little.  I haven't made any since 2015, but have this batch going now.  Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks.

Apfelwein 2018 Day 3 Fermentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsyOS4mglKg
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:41:52 PM by adrianrog »

Offline T-Boy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
I am a small batch brewer: beer, wine, mead and cider. Currently have 1 gallon of cab with some oak in it fermenting away as well as 2 gallons of black IPA ( http://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/scbs-black-ipa-recipe-kit.html ). Just bottled a hard cider that I "flavored" with some whiskey soaked in oak, also made it sparkling.   I like to experiment with different things, some turn out good, some not.  I have gone to some forums but most of them are so far over my head that I can't really get much out of it.  Most of my brewing in limited to weekends when I can find a few hours to brew.

As for beer, I have a two gallon water cooler converted to a mash tun ( https://www.homebrewstuff.com/2-gallon-mash-tun.html ) and another 2 gallon cooler converted to a hot liquor tank.  This allows me to brew two gallon batches as long as the grain bill isn't over 6 pounds.  I fly sparge from the HLT to the mash tun.

adrianrog I will definitely try out that yeast for my next cider. I don't have my notes with me but I believe I used Mangrove Jack's cider yeast for the last batch.

Looking forward to more discussion here.

PS Have one bottle left of a hard, sparkling cyser that I made which turned out well.  The fermentation gave me trouble but it turned great. Heading to the smokeys next month and plan on bringing it to sip on. Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:07:14 PM by T-Boy »
The heart of Cajun Country: Lafayette, LA Zone 9a
Laissez le bon temps rouler!

Offline T-Boy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Started a wine yesterday.  The "juice" is a grape juice but not made from Concord grapes instead made with Syrah (shiraz) grapes and some cranberry. It looks and smells delicious.  Should make a nice light wine.

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
Mine is about done.  I washed a bunch of bottles yesterday, going to back sweeten and then carbonate it in the bottle.  It'll probably only take a few days to carbonate and then I'l pasturize it.  Should be good.

Offline T-Boy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »
Popped open the Black IPA and whiskey oaked cider mentioned above. Both turned out good especially the cider.  Brewed a porter to which I will add vanilla beans soaked in whiskey.

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
Porter was always just about my favorite of the darks....oh how I miss it.
Crack O' Noon Farms.