Author Topic: Row hipper  (Read 391 times)

Offline etxhunter76

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Row hipper
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:39 PM »
I have an old row hipper that Iím trying to get to working again.  The gangs were locked up so we took the caps off. It looks like it has wooden inserts as wear pieces. My questions is, do I just clean the spools,caps and inserts then pack with grease and put back together?  I have pictures of the hipper, they are too large to post here.

Thanks
Rick

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Row hipper
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
I see no reason why the old hipper wouldn't work by the cleaning you described in your post. The big "IF" is the wooden wear pieces. If they are worn or rotten, that can be a game changer. You would either have to repair or replace them. I am sure that you could find a local woodworker to make some new ones out of hardwood providing you had the original dimensions.

If they cannot be replaced or repaired you can most likely find the parts you need or new gangs from Stevens Tractor on Coushatta, La.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline etxhunter76

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
We got it taken apart and cleaned up.  the inserts are in ok shape, so I repacked everything with grease and we put it back together.  now all we got to do is make a 3 pt hookup for it and were all set.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
Looking good there.  A good degreasing an cleaning goes a long way towards returning those hippers to working life. 
I had to make a couple of bearing blocks an wood bearings a few years ago to get a 1940's disc harrow back into action.  I think you can still find the wooden bearings online, but the blocks themselves were also damaged so it was easier to build what I needed. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
That ought to work like a champ. Once you get one set up right there is nothing better. They build beautiful raised rows. Congratulations
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M