Author Topic: Spraying Peas  (Read 387 times)

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Spraying Peas
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:01:12 AM »
Each year it seems that as the heat ramps up outdoors so do the garden pests. My two main enemies here are leaf footers and stink bugs. I was able to combat them in the smaller front garden by getting an early start and being vigilant this year. When I saw one, I killed it.

The back garden is much larger and therefore harder to manually control the pests. Do any of you spray your peas with pyrethrum? Is it effective or are there better alternatives?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
Re: Spraying Peas
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
It has been my experience that once stink bugs and especially leaf footed bugs get a hold they are impossible to get rid of.  I switch between spinosad, pyrethrum and sevin spray, with some success.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
Bob,

Since posting the query, I read that once the pea plant starts producing the peas and they are an inch long or so to make your first spray. The article concurs with you that once they are established it's over. I am going to try and make a regiment out of this next year and see what kind of success I can have with it. Typically if I can plant early enough I can beat the majority of them and get all the peas I need. This year wasn't the case and we have had to sort through quite a bit of damaged peas.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
DB - I saw some of your harvested peas in the other thread and they were looking good.  How many row feet of the TPPHs do you normally plant?  I'll plant some zipper creams for the fall -- love those too.

I need to start spraying again. I think I'll try Bob's method and skip the Dawn and water I tried earlier.   Just got back from a weeks vacation with the family and see that the stink bugs have caused some trouble with my peas.  I will be picking through them to see what can harvested and stored.

I'll have to remember the tip for the fall planting when they are about an inch long.
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »
I planted 600 linear feet of purple hulls and 800 linear feet of zipper cream peas. The bugs were not bad at first but as the heat ramps up so does the pressure from the pest. The zipper creams I picked yesterday had quite a bit of damage. The first ones I picked had very little.

I don't like to use any chemicals but I'll be darned if I am going to let my hard work go down the drain. I have some top pick creams planted in my front garden mainly to till in for green manure but may harvest some from them if they make in time. Don't get me wrong, I probably have 100+ quarts of peas in the freezer but I hate to see the bugs this bad.

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 11:48:21 AM »
That's a lot of peas to pick!  100+ quarts is a good harvest!  I hope to get 30-40 but I don't think we'll make it.

My experience with the peas planted a month later and the crops seem similar to yours with more pests in the 2nd set of spring planting.  I wanted to stagger for a longer harvest, but next year I'll plant them all as soon as I can and just do a spring and fall planting.

If you don't use chemicals, how do you minimize their impact?
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
I plant early if possible. This year, it got wet and slowed me down a couple of weeks. I try and plant enough for me and for the pests. Just like tomatoes, the earlier you get them planted, the earlier you harvest thus beating the bugs. I have read good and bad articles about pyrethrum and because it comes from chrysanthemums and seems more natural I will try it next year. If the weather cooperates I may do a row or two as a trial to spray and see how it works in the fall. I am more interested in cover crops for the back garden to try and reduce the weeds and increase the green manure.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 05:23:48 AM »
I am experimenting with growing radishes (you let them flower) among my squash, cucumbers and melons. The thinking is the smell given off my the radishes repels stink bugs and other insects so far I have not seen any stink bugs but it is still early.

I will inform you of my results at the end of the season.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »
I too have some stink bug issues in my peas. My research found that Sevin don't do much on Stink bugs. Malathion and Lannate were the two recommended by the experts. The PHI is all over the board with Malathion, from 1 day to 7 days. Be careful and read the label. I have not priced Lannate so I can't comment on it. I did read that Spinosad was good but it needs to be alternated with a different insecticide.
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A
135 acres mostly hay fields
JD 5525, JD 5075E, Kubota L2501, JD 458 Baler and a Covington Planter

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »
I said I was using Sein Dust, but I am actually use Carbaryl 80. which is 80% Carbaryl  much stronger than regular Sevin which is from 20 to 44% Carbaryl. You must be licensed to buy it.  It is water soluble and I mix it to spray. I use it as a powder when planting potatoes, I put it in the trench, recommended by a friend to kill grub worms.

Bob 

Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA