Author Topic: Propane Garden Torch  (Read 586 times)

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
Propane Garden Torch
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
I know several folks have mentioned that part of your weed control is to use a torch and burn them.  Which torch do you use and where would you recommend getting one?  How often do you find yourself using it and was it worth the purchase?

Also, share any advice or info you would like on how and when to use it.

Thanks.
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Online jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
Re: Propane Garden Torch
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Off Amazon (as most things), I got the Red Dragon VT 2-23 C Weed Dragon 100,000-BTU Propane Vapor Torch Kit.  My understanding is the more BTU the better at killing.  I used it at the beginning of the year every month around the edge of the garden, fence line, etc.  It has been a few months since using it with this heat and drought and need to run around with it again.  I would run it a week or so after prepping the beds and before planting.  Also, I ran it on the grass where I put new beds.  I think it does a great job and works the best on just emerged weeds.  I liked the way the fence line was looking.  Of coarse, you have to be careful not to start fires and the propane tank does get heavy.  Unfortunately, it did not work so well for me on the weeds in the concrete cracks.  They must have evolved to super heat and drought resistant. 
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
I borrow the shoulder strap off of my Stihl weedeater to help carry my tank around.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
 I have a "gopher" lawn mower, no mower deck, plastic drink case on hood which
I  set the propane tank in and strap it down.
 The torch has  a automatic flame starter when I press the handle.
I just ride along and torch weeds, grass or what ever at a slow pace.
I like to "torch" because it will kill weeds/grass even if it rains right after I torch.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
I got this one on sale for $29.99.  Did a great job on the strip along the garage. 

About to torch the raised beds.  Will till and torch regularly, until about 3 weeks before transplanting in the seedlings.  At that point, I'll turn in the sifted compost and all my amendments.  By the time I transplant in, I should have control over the weeds that do come up after all the torching.

When I say "torch", I mean I'm simply gonna singe the heads of the weeds that come up.  That's all it takes.  My beneficials should burrow deep enough not to be hurt.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200584783_200584783?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Snow%20%2B%20Ice%20Removal%20%3E%20Torch%20Kits&utm_campaign=idealgas&utm_content=29193&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIodeP_feZ3AIViERpCh37qg91EAkYAyABEgKqBfD_BwE
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Ben

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »
Gymgirl--that looks like a dandy one to get the job done--good choice.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »
Thanks for all the help and comments.  I appreciate them.  I was torn between the red Dragon and the IdealGas torch that GG has.  I ended up and ordered the Red Dragon with the squeeze value and longer handle.  I'm not sure it's work the extra $$ though.  We'll see.  https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-VT-2-23-SVC-Weed/dp/B001AUPQVM

Regardless, I'll have my water hose close when I test it out next Tuesday when the burning will commence.  It may not work for long, but I'll feel better about it anyway.
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
NewKYhome,
Yep, torch in one hand, water hose in the other hand, LOL!  :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 02:21:31 AM »
Get the torch that has   a Push Button Igniter .

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
I use the one from Harbor Freight with automatic igniter. It also has a turbo boost. It was cheap, very effective and more than accomplishes the job.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Online Dwight Hebert

• Grasshopper
  • Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »
One reason I have not used my torch as much as I would like is that it keeps going out. It seems that when I get too close to the surface I'm torching the back pressure blows out the flame.  The sweet spot is very narrow.  Too far and nothing is singed too close and the flame blows out. 

I don't know if this is an adjustment or what.

Offline Ben

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
Dwight Hebert--Try reducing your gas pressure and/or reduce your air mixture if it has one.  Hope this helps.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b