Author Topic: Purple Hull Peas  (Read 289 times)

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Purple Hull Peas
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
I finally have gotten ahead of the deer eating my pea pods. Put out solar lights, bags on sticks, and perfumed socks. Then had a round of bugs stinging the pods, so I sprayed with liquid Sevin still some Stink bugs but not as bad as they were. So in the past few days I've managed to pick several 5 gallon buckets of peas. It's been dry even thought the forecast calls for 40-50% the rain seems to just go around me. Sure could use a good soaker, but then I'll have to start all over again with the spraying. Boy growing peas is expensive. I got the ground turned under and disked where I had Sweet corn and ready to plant some fall peas and beans real soon.
By the way, for note, my Truckers Favorite field corn had huge ears 12 to 15 inches long. The corn turned out to be tuff. So I won't be planting that variety again. Next year I'll go back to Peaches and Cream and leave it at that.
As our good friend Donald would say, "Lashepa".
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A
135 acres mostly hay fields
JD 5525, JD 5075E, Kubota L2501, JD 458 Baler and a Covington Planter

Offline tangentalstorm

• Sprout
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Re: Purple Hull Peas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
sp... I have grown Truckers favorite a few times and never found it to be tough. What kind of weather were you having? And how long after it tasseled brown did ya pick it?
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline spchance

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
I thought I had enough moisture and after side dressing with N2 it really went to growing. I watched it closely cause it was the first time to plant it. I pulled the first ears about two days after the silks were completely brown and the ears were not fully developed. I waited another couple days and pulled some more. this time the ears were full so we cut some whole kernel and it was tuff and chewy.
Steve in Central Alabama
Zone 8A
135 acres mostly hay fields
JD 5525, JD 5075E, Kubota L2501, JD 458 Baler and a Covington Planter

Offline tangentalstorm

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
sp... the timing sounds right to me..the ears not being filled before browning though kind of speaks to a pollination problem of some kind now as to whether that's a planting distance thing or lack of wind or some thing I wasn't there so I couldn't tell ya.

I don't know about the soil conditions where you are but As for fertilizing I always use a an NPK balanced fertilizer like a 10-10-10 in granular form too so it releases a bit slower. 
To me keeping the nutrition balanced just always made more sense than growth spurring with nitrogen heavy fertilizers.

I don't know much about N2 except that it is nitrogen heavy and is used extensively in bioethanol corn production. 
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Corn of all kinds have 2 times when the plant needs a shot of nitrogen for good plant health an full production.  1 when the plant has 4 true leaves (about 4 inches tall) an again when the corn starts to tassel, an make ears.  I started with this regiment 4 years ago an we went from one ear per stalk to 2 ears most of the time, so we nearly doubled our bounty.
I grew up on an around working row crop farms an the farmers back in those days used liquid nitrogen an knifed it in down the center of the rows when the corn was about knee high.  Even now they apply nitrogen differently but the corn stalks around here is dark green, an not yellow. 
I was talking to mom about the old days an the corn was planted with 30 inch rows an the spacing was probably 5 to 6 inches between stalks.  Now rows are probably 12 to 18 inches an the corn is spaced about 4 inches apart, thus the higher yields.  My uncles were dubbed corn kings of Indiana back in 1961 an 62 for raising corn with what was consider to be a high yield (I don't remember the numbers) but last year my mothers corn crop yieled more than twice that amount an hers is only a small patch compared to the thousands of acres farms that we now have.  Point being planting heavy an proper fertilizer makes for good an plentiful corn crop wether field corn or sweetcorn. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline tangentalstorm

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »
I do a side dressing when it's about 4-6 inches and then 6 weeks later and then once it starts to tassel.
Crack O' Noon Farms.