Author Topic: The smell of corn!  (Read 64 times)

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
The smell of corn!
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »
Yesterday I was driving with my windows down an as I was passing a wooded area I thought that I caught a wiff  of honey suckle but I didn't see anything flowering.  As I continued to where I was going I had corn fields on both sides of a country road an I realized that the sweet smell was from the corn!  I may have smelled it before in my life an maybe it because of my health issues, or the conditions were just right?  I don't know but the sweet smell was very pleasant. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Re: The smell of corn!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »
Gopher...they say that smell is the one of our senses most directly related to memory. I get taken back to my childhood whenever I smell a tobacco field. If you have ever been in a area where a lot of tobacco is grown at a certain point it has this aroma that some might call pleasant others might call kinda musty but when my wife and I were driving through the area I grew up we drove down a road where there were big tobacco fields on both sides and she looked at me kinda funny and said "What is that smell?"

I said "Tobacco, and it's almost cutting time. Do you like the smell?"

She said "I don't really know if I do or not. You can tell it's time to harvest just by the smell?"

I said "Yup. That field on the left is ready, the one on the right will be anytime in the next week. Been able to do that since I was about 10."...lol
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: The smell of corn!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
Cool TGS.  I worked around coal an chemicals all of my life an my sence of smell is less than optimal but I was pleased to smell the corn.  I do know that certain smells trigger memories
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer