Author Topic: The war starting AGAIN  (Read 219 times)

Offline Marshmud991

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
The war starting AGAIN
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
2 years ago the wild hogs showed up on our farm. I'm 48 yrs old and been on that farm since I was 13 yrs old and never has there been hogs. In feb 2017 I killed the first hog on the farm. A 200+lb boar. Fast forward to April 2018 and I had 87 hogs killed that I put my hands on. That's not counting the ones that hit the marsh and I didn't recover them. We went into a dry spell and the marshes on the edge of the farm and the lacassine refuge dried up and the hogs left the farm for the marsh. With all the rain the water is back up in the marsh and the hogs are back with a vengeance. I sure was nice when they were gone. They did a pretty good number in my rice last night. Time to break out the traps and put the AR back in the truck.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:03:08 PM by Marshmud991 »

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: The war starting AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
I am so sorry to hear your beautiful rice field is under siege. I wish you luck on your hunt to cull the pig population.
What kind of trap do you use for a pig?.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
Kill'em...kill'em by the bushel basket full.

What kind of AR do you use?
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Marshmud991

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
I am so sorry to hear your beautiful rice field is under siege. I wish you luck on your hunt to cull the pig population.
We call them a box trap. It is 2x4x8ft. It has a cable tripped spring loaded door.

Offline Marshmud991

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
Kill'em...kill'em by the bushel basket full.

What kind of AR do you use?
I usually carry my Rock River 223/556. But I will also carry my 6.8spc and my AR10 in 6.5 creedmore.
 I killed that big hog with my 308mx lever action. This is my favorite rifle.

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »
We call them a box trap. It is 2x4x8ft. It has a cable tripped spring loaded door.

I didn't realize how many one trap can catch.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
Very nice!

Whenever I go hog hunting it's with my .300BL AR, Palmetto Lower, Daytona Upper that I built. A friend of mine makes these "Hog Whacker" rounds I use that are just brutal on pigs.

Now if it's going to be somewhere I might need to really reach out and touch someone so to speak, it's my 7.62 FN FAL.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 08:01:53 PM »
Hog hunting an coyote hunting are both on my bucket list but at the bottom of the bucket so to speak.   

Do you eat any of the pork?  I have heard both sides that some say it is very tasty an others that say it is Not very good meat.  I expect it has to do with how the hog was dispatched.  We don't have hogs around here that I have ever heard of, but when I was a kid we didn't have deer, Turkey's or coyotes either but now we have them in abundance. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Marshmud991

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Hog hunting an coyote hunting are both on my bucket list but at the bottom of the bucket so to speak.   

Do you eat any of the pork?  I have heard both sides that some say it is very tasty an others that say it is Not very good meat.  I expect it has to do with how the hog was dispatched.  We don't have hogs around here that I have ever heard of, but when I was a kid we didn't have deer, Turkey's or coyotes either but now we have them in abundance.
I have kept a couple of them. The young one and the sows are very good meat. I give all the boar hogs away. The people who take them say they are good but I can't make myself clean one. Them old fat sows make a good breakfast sausage and them little 20-25 pounders are some fine eating cooked slow on the smoker.
 This hog must have escaped from someone. He was cut so we kept this one. It's is some great meat. Just a little tough. Lol

Online Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
We clean them, skin them and put the quarters in a cooler covered in ice. We pull the plug on the cooler and every day ice it back down. Do that for two days and it makes the pork really good.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
Mr Marshmud, I hope you can stop the wild hog problem.

They can do so much damage in such a short time.

Looks like you and Mr Tange have got the fire power to take care of em.

Online NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 08:05:31 AM »
It's amazing how much damage those hogs will cause.  Keep up the fight.  I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate the extra meat in your area.
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden

Made possible by Zareba electric fence