Author Topic: How our lambs turned out  (Read 115 times)

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
How our lambs turned out
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:27 PM »
We sent 12 ram lambs to auction and they graded very well.  We are keeping 9 February - April ewe lambs that will be bred in the fall.  They are big enough to breed now but we have 15 other ewes in our main herd that we will breed this and next month and probably 10 that we will either cull or feed back into condition and breed and sell.

I'm super happy with this crop of lambs.  We have several registered lambs that don't look nearly as good as our commercial ewe lambs.  We have a neighbor that has mostly registered stock that wants to buy some of our lambs to breed some size into their commercial girls. One of the ewe lambs was on the cull list because she didn't shed well but once I got my hands on her she came off of the list.  She should shed out next year as her dam did the same her first year.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: How our lambs turned out
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:12:16 PM »
Mike--Congratulations on your 2018 lambs, with such a satisfying season.  I noted the ewe in the 3rd picture appears to have what we always called a stocky build and a breeding keeper.  Also I noted that you have at least one black sheep in the family. LOL

Hope you have the same or better luck next year, but it is like row crops, it's all a gamble.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:36:02 PM »
 Those are beautiful animals and I wished I knew more about them. We have always raised cattle and or hogs so I have no exposure to lambs. They are very pleasing to look at and I can see where y'all would derive a lot of satisfaction from raising them. Thanks as always for sharing your stories and photos!!

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 06:53:05 PM »
Thanks guys.  We just wish we had another 20 acres.  We can carry up to 70 head during prime grass season but you are right, it is a gamble.  If we had an extended drought we would have to be down sizing pretty fast.  We will be breeding 25 ewes starting in a week or two and then another 15 in the fall for spring lambs.  Nine of our 3 year old yearlings will be sold in a few weeks to get our numbers down to where they need to be.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:07:27 AM »
I don't know anything about sheep ( other than what you have told us) or choosing which to keep or which to cull but as a layman/ animal lover I will say have a nice looking flock Mike.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107