Author Topic: Uh oh... please help! -canning corn reaction...  (Read 398 times)

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
Uh oh... please help! -canning corn reaction...
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
Hi all,

We picked corn yesterday and spent all day getting it ready to go into the pressure cooker. We had a lot, 60 quarts worth and we ran out of time (needed sleep).

We had 30 quarts or so in the jars, water added, with a teaspoon of salt. They sat over night in the jars... we were just exhausted.

Well... this happened. This is the first year I've canned corn so my ignorance caught up with me.
It literally bent lids on the jars... Can someone tell me what I did wrong and want can I do to salvage this situation ... that's a lot of food to lose..

The jars of corn foamed up and blew the lids off....

Thanks!

-Greg
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Offline jimmiec

• Sprout
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
Re: Uh oh... please help! -canning corn reaction...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »
I'm no help and so sorry to hear this especially the volume.  I take it you are having trouble with the quarts not ran through the pressure cooker.  Sounds like they started to ferment and making some kind of corn beer.  Might could make a corn vinegar or whiskey.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
Greg-- I am by far no canning expert but I would venture to say that the pressure in the pressure cooker was reduced to rapidly and the corn in the jars remained at a high temperature.  The corn inside the jars did not cool.  As the hot jars cooled the pressure inside the jars reduced causing them to boil that much more.  I can not see very well but it looks like the jar on the right has very little liquid in it which would support my theory.

You might have been better off just cutting the fire off and going to bed and getting a good nights sleep after such a hard day.

Check the liquid level in the jars.  If it is really low on most of them, would also support my theory

Man I hate you lost all that good food.  You might replace the lids and put in pressure cooker for only about 10 minutes, just enough to get the new lids to seal.  Might be worth a try.  If any of the lids sealed I would not re-process them.  Just a thought.

Good luck

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:58 PM »
#DoubleB is one of the corn canning men around here.  Send him a dmail.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
I couldn't tell from the post but your post says you got them ready to process but did you actually do the processing?  It almost sounds like you added the corn to the jars and let them sit overnight.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
I vote with Ben.  If you cool down the canner like is suggested for pressure cookers the contents of the jars will boil over causing the low liquid in the jars.  Also like Ben suggested fill the jars back up with liquid an wipe the jar rims an put on a new lid an process long enough to heat up the jars so the new lids will seal when they slowly cool this time.  Being overly tired an canning is not a good combination. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:33:05 AM »
I agree with MikeM. From the post you put the corn in the jars with the salt and  (I am confused here) left them on the counter and went to sleep. You then pressure  canned them the next morning?? I think if this was the process they fermented in the jars overnight and when you pressurized them the gas from the fermentation trying to escape "domed" the lids.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »
I agree filling the jars, letting them sit overnight and not running them through the canner they obviously built up pressure and damaged the lids.  I would chalk this up to experience and dump the contents.

Donald   
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 07:14:48 PM »
I am not sure, but I think it has started fermenting.  I am like Donald, they would hit the mulch pile.  I wouldn't take the chance of botulism. Just my 2.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:19:21 PM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 10:27:30 PM »
Sorry for your lost, i would advise U to invest in a Ball Blue Book for Canning, They don't cost very much, another wery good book to have is ( Putting Food By ) its over 500 pages, it has directions on how to save just about anything, U can find them used on line for around 5 bucks, very interesting to look & read, Its a Paper back book, been around a long time,

covers  Canning,Freezing, Drying, Root Cellaring, Curing, Sprouting. Recipes,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 01:26:39 AM »
LakeRat1
You were close. I just ordered a copy for $3.59 including shipping. It is a 1982 publication. I use Bookfinder.com to locate, books and obtain the best price including shipping. This copy is coming from Abe Books. They appear to have a couple more copies for about the same price.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 01:31:09 AM »
I should have added there are 533 pages in the 1982 edition. There is a 2010 update but it is $40.00 USED!

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:27:48 AM »
Daniel U will enjoy this Book, i don't know what edition the one we have, front cover has come off, it was in good shape when we got it, inside were side notes in a couple places that who ever had it, made little notes to remind of a little change they wanted to try next time they used a recipe,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Sorry about the bad luck. I'm not sure at this point you can save it.  An option would have been to add a saltwater brine to it and leave it to pickle for 21-28 days in a large container.  You just need to add a weight to keep the corn from touching air, much like you do making sauerkraut.

Pickled corn was an Appalachian staple to preserve corn.  I remember eating it growing up and have 40 ears in a solution now that should be ready this week.

Anyone else ever had pickled corn?
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Online Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
I am sad to read about your canning failure. :'(

I have no experiences in pressure canning  good or bad but I would trust what has been suggested.

I have eaten corn relish,made corn cob jelly and tasted corn liquor. ;D
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
NewKyHome----the only pickled corn I have had is those little baby ears in  jars at the grocery store....love'em.

Online LSU2001

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
I agree with the above posters who talked about the corn fermenting in the jars as they sat.  Corn has a pretty high sugar content and if not sterilized the natural yeasts in the air and on the corn will ferment them.  Think Sour Mash.  I also agree with tossing the contents, 30 quarts of corn while a very big loss, is not worth the possibility of getting sick or dead from spoiled food.

Of course I guess you could add sugar and more yeast and put them in a container with an air lock and let them ferment until  the alcohol content gets high enough to kill the yeasts.  Then run it through a still and make some moonshine LOL.  If not skilled in this don't try it, I am just joking around.
Tim
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:55:26 PM by LSU2001 »
Cut Off, La. Zone 9
Kubota L3800
Polaris Ranger 400
Mahindra 2015
Troy Bilt Colt
Honda Rancher

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »
I agree filling the jars, letting them sit overnight and not running them through the canner they obviously built up pressure and damaged the lids.  I would chalk this up to experience and dump the contents.

Donald

Hi Donald,

40 quarts worth of experience...
We dumped it all on the burn pile.. it tasted so bad I was tempted to scrape the inside of mouth out with a spoon.

We had been processing and canning for days. We pulled all our carrots and about the same time another picking of green beans needed to be picked, cleaned, snapped (76 quarts worth), and canned. And a batch of tomatoes had to be canned too. The corn ripened and started attracting bugs, so I had to get it picked.

We have one canner and it holds 7 quarts. Started around 8am and went to midnight every night for nearly a week. We just ran out of steam and were exhausted.

Anyways, I think we definitely learned to only process enough corn at a time that we can actually finish at that time. Whew...

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

-Greg
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 02:34:36 AM »

40 quarts worth of experience...
We dumped it all on the burn pile..
Anyways, I think we definitely learned to only process enough corn at a time that we can actually finish at that time. Whew...
-Greg

Mr Greg, I am sorry you lost all that corn, BUT by your statement above , you have gained very valuable knowledge that will benefit you for the rest of your life.
Thank you for sharing  this with all of  TBG family.
It  helps all of us .

I try to go by this --- when in doubt , throw it out.
I also try to go by what you said in your last sentence  where you said,
" Anyways, I think we definitely learned to only process enough corn at a time that we can actually finish at that time. Whew...
-Greg".

Not only for corn but for ALL of our canning.

Good luck with your garden.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:10 AM »
An alternative to canning corn is to process it an put into heavy freezer containers an freeze.  Corn is one of those crops that comes on all at the same time an freezing it allows for you to get it put away quickly.  Our system takes 3 people.  We head to the garden an pick all the corn that is ready. Then we set under a shade tree an shuck it (clean 5 gallon buckets) an then it goes to the kitchen.  One person blanche the corn, an then moves it to an ice bath to stop the cooking,  then any stray silks are removed an the corn is moved to a dish drainer to dry.  The next person cuts the corn off the cob.  The third person spoons the corn into containers an that is our system.  3 people can process 4 bushels of corn from garden to freezer in 4 hours. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer