Author Topic: Different kind of Pea  (Read 135 times)

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Different kind of Pea
« on: August 11, 2018, 03:21:45 PM »
This year I planted Regular Pink Eye Purple Haul Peas in with the seed there must have been a couple Pea seed of a different kind, I had 2 Plants that the Pod was bright green, they grew long pods just like the PEPHP 
when they were ready to pick they were almost white, as they dry the Pods turn Tan, the dry pea seed are also tan, the seed might be just a tad smaller the a Purple Haul seed, when the pea is ready to pick, the Pod maybe just a tad smaller than a PHP. Pod

I have saved the seed and plan to plant a bed of the next year, I would like to have a name to give these seed, so if any of U have a Idea of what kind of pea this is, please let me know, what i do know is its not any kind of Crowder pea

I can remember my Dad talking about Dixie Lee Peas, any chance this is what these are?

Thanks  Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
Re: Different kind of Pea
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
Sounds like the Mississippi Silver Crowder peas I had this spring.  There are still a few of these in my garden.  I'll take a couple of pics of them and post later.  These peas were cream colored when they are mature and more of a greenish color when not completely mature and the pods were the same.  Very good to eat though.
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:05:09 PM »
Thanks NewKYhome, I just though all Crowder peas were the same, the only of Crowder pea i ever knew where the ones the the peas grew tight in the pod unlike the way PHP grow, and i never really liked them,

Thanks for the Help, I like the way they grew, they also look like they will run through the sheller with easy

Thanks again for the Help naming my peas !!

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »
Most of mine early on were full and 8-10 inches long just like PHPs would be. Seems summer has reduced the size of them. Below are a couple of pics of mature and not quite mature Mississippi Silver Crowder peas.

I think you could also have a Zipper Cream peas.  They look very similar.  Either way - they are all really good.

Curt
Zone 8a, 8.5 acres, 110 x 60 garden
Made possible by Zareba electric fence
Higher Ground Farm

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
I usually grow Red Ripper crowders but do like the Miss. Silver very much.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
Yes NewKYhome, that looks like what i have, I am saving all of them for seed, I have cut back my PHP vines, they are coming back like Gang Busters, I hope the get the second crop out by late Sept, so i can plant those bed with Cabbage and other cool weather stuff,

Thanks Again for the Help

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.