Author Topic: Bucket list train ride  (Read 1320 times)

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: Bucket list train ride
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
I have to start researching which restaurant to visit.  Years ago I ate st one of emeril's places.  I think I will look for where the locals recommend.  Setting in Houston at the moment, but we will be on our way shortly.  I thought I might rent a car in NOand drive over to Lafayette to visit with my friends there, or do a swamp tour because my grandson has never been in the bayou, or do a fishing charter but that is expensive an how are we going to handle the catch? 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
Hi Bill, what a trip!! Will you guys fly home from NO?
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 04:22:33 PM »
I am home again!  My easy chair still loves my backside!  Life is good!  Well I enjoyed my bucket list train ride but it is really good to be home.  A few things I learned about my trip.  1 human waste is sort of handled a very old fashioned way.  The liquid goes on the ground under the car, an solids are stored on board.  Sometimes there is a smell on or near the rail car, an it is nasty.  2 railroads are mainly for freight traffic, an the rails are maintained for that purpose.  The tracks north from  New Orleans was very rough side to side.  The cars would jerk violently left to right more than up an down.  The best experience was on the Empire Builder the worst  was the City of New Orleans.  3. The name of the train is not to be confused with the amount of scenic views from the train.  The Coastal Starlight was only close to the  coast for 50 or so miles in the thousand mile plus route. 4 if you want to sleep in a sleeperette room spend a few nights sleeping in a cloths closet, as that is about the size of a sleeperette room.  They've adequate an comfortable but cramped.  5 the closer your sleeper is to the engine the more you will hear the horn!  The horn is blown at every road, sidewalk, or cow path all the time night or day, an like a low grade toothache it can wear on your nerves.  I believe there is a person who's only job is to blow that horn, an that person loves their work.  6 you meet some really nice people on a train, in the dinning car or observation car.  I met a guy who was working on his computer commuting back to his home.  Once we started talking he was telling me how the environment was going to be in one hundred years, so the gloves had to come off!  I told him the only problem with that is that them same fine folks can not predict tomorrow's weather, how can they go out 100 years?  I also told him that I burned coal for a living for 29 years, an we were having a great conversation when he had to get off at his stop.  Dang I missed a fun filled few hours!  7 my belief that this is a great big beautiful country we were so blessed to be born in!  My 28 year old grandson was taking lots of photos an time after time a freight train would pass us going the opposite way an he was getting more an more angry.  (Red haired kid) an I told him that those trains were JOBs  an that they were keeping this great country moving forward towards greatness again.  Man there are heaps of freight trains moving around this country. 

In conclusion I loved the experience of traveling over 6 thousand miles in 8 days, but it is good to be home.  My grandson got to see things that he will remember for the rest of his life.  Some of those thing might be because of a gay pride event going on in New Orleans, an seeing first hand people wearing a 5 lb cloths stuffing 10 lbs in those 5 lb colths, an he has some pictures to prove that.  Dorothy this is not Kansas comes to mind! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 06:07:05 PM »
Gopher....Thanks so much for the very interesting summation of your trip....very informative!! My sister says she wants to go on an Amtrak trip. Ha, think I am a little too into the "comforts" now for that!!  So interesting though to have a first hand description of what it is like. So glad you and grandson enjoyed....and yes, like they say, "there is no place like home!" Have a good "rest up" period now...ha, til your next adventure comes around!

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »
Thank you Gopherbroke . This was a great trip for us too.  I have a lot of fun reading about it and the "  inside scoop" was so informative. I hate to drive so if I ever had to go somewhere very far off, this would be it for me.    I'm sorry you got an eye full in N.O. though.
 I'm glad you had a pretty good trip other than that.
 God bless you Bill.     
Central Mississippi

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »
Awesome trip.  Thanks for sharing Bill.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 07:45:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience and glad you had a good trip.
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I enjoyed reading your posts, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA