Author Topic: My time of year  (Read 139 times)

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
My time of year
« on: September 02, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »
Made it to my favorite time of year, now through Thanksgiving. Yes, still hot, 94 here today, but we had a 53 here one night last week, I know change is coming. Loooong afternnon shawdows,  the bugs of late summer, walking sticks and praying mantis' are showing up. Trees have lost their summer luster, thinking about changing their colors. Cats started packing in more food 3 weeks ago, they know. I swear one has hollow legs she eaten so much. If I'm not mistaken, cats, and others in the animal kingdom do this in response to decreasing hours of daylight.

I've seen about 10 Monarchs butterflys recently, instinctively winging their way to Central Mexico to overwinter just like untold millions have done before them. The great great great grandchildren of those that made the migration this past spring to Americas Northern Tier/Great Lakes. I've got a soft spot for Monarchs, I'll practically take a ditch to avoid hitting one in my car. Enormously dependent upon milkweed for life and reproduction, Monarchs can find great comfort in West KY as milkweed is absolutely everywhere. Some of the Lord's best work Monarchs are.

I'll stop by the slaughterhouse this week and order 20 lbs. of shank/marrow bones and 3-4 quartered knee joints, they'll be ready for me next week and beef bone broth will happen next weekend and I'll freeze around 20-25 quart freezer bags to get us through soup/stew/gumbo making for a couple years. My cajun friend will return from the bayou this week bringing me tasso, boudin, and andouille sausage. Good times ahead!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: My time of year
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
ksp.....a good description of the things slowly starting to happen now. Have never seen a Monarch here but were tons of them back in Ms....have really missed them!  All my dogs over the yrs have gained at least 5 lbs in the winter....ha, usually me too, unfortunately! Yep, I, just picked up a mess of ham bones to freeze from a place here that deals with smoking meat.....the bones are all free!! Think I put 8 in the freezer. They have plenty every day, but I am a little short of freezer space sow ill buy more later,as needed. Soon will be buying fresh apples, as opposed to the bagged. Summer is my favorite time of the year, but there is much to like about Fall. :)